Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Misting--good idea or not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote: from Alvin Meister on 1:31 pm on Mar. 31, 2002
    Sorry, I forgot you have the 4 rhizomes don't you? Well I wouldn't bother with any misting or vinegar - they don't need it. If you have just planted them up then they'll be in very acidic soil anyway.
    You just need to put them in the brightest place you can find - either on a windowsill or greenhouse and keep them warm. Room temperature is fine. If you have only just got them then it can take them a week or so to get over the shock, during which time they might not grow at all.
    Patience is what you need for rhizomes. Come June they should be pretty sizeable plants.
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks! I will be patience itself. They are getting their first dose of appreciable sun today; I am already seeing some slight growth. Is there any data on pot size and transplant shock? The pot I'm using is huge relative to the plants, and as a result there has been virtually no change in moisture or temperature. It seems to be helping.

--SO

(Edited by steveo at 6:27 pm on April 1, 2002)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote: from RamPuppy on 5[img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]7 pm on April 1, 2002
    misting is fine, as long as you use a spray bottle that produces an atomizing mist, i.e. you spray, and the mistl itterally dissolves into thin air.

On top of that, dont aim directly at the plant, but over it, and around it, or if directly at it, be a distance from it where the mist is alread dissipated into the air so your not hitting it with water.

Then, your great.

I mist my flytraps on my back porch every single day, it is hot enough, sometimes, I have to add distilled water to the pitchers of my sars sometimes too...
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'm misting the one plant at night, so that the moisture lingers a bit.

--SO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mist the plants I have outside sometimes 5 or 6 times in a day in the heat of summer (102 Farenheit)

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know vinegar is not a good thing we use it to kill weeds and grass here instead of using chemicals.
    I dont know if it kills everything like CPs but I'd be careful and use it on a plant you are prepared to lose.
    I think the misting part has been answered so I wont fo into that.

Marshfield, MA (US) USDA zone 6 cold-temperate coastal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peat tea recipe gleaned from the listserv:

Fill a nylon sock with peat (secure the end so none escapes) and submerge in 2 gallons (8 litres) pure water. Let it sit in the hot sun for about a month. Water your acid-loving cp liberally with the solution. One sockful is good for 2 batches.

This solution is especially useful for plants that haven't been repotted for a while, including artificial bog garden which will never have their peat replaced! What the tea does is re-acidifies the medium, I suppose.

I've got a batch brewing outside right now and will report my results.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote: from Dionaea Enthusiast on 4:44 am on April 3, 2002
    Peat tea recipe gleaned from the listserv:

Fill a nylon sock with peat (secure the end so none escapes) and submerge in 2 gallons (8 litres) pure water. Let it sit in the hot sun for about a month. Water your acid-loving cp liberally with the solution. One sockful is good for 2 batches.

I've got a batch brewing outside right now and will report my results.

Chris [/QUOTE]

Thanks, Chris.

Sun (peat) tea! I wonder if a person could boil it and get the same results faster. It will be some time before we have a hot sun around here, or sun of any sort!

--SO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be able to squidge it about in the sock to make it work faster.
    I once tried the same thing with pine needles but the water absolutely stank so I threw it away!

Marshfield, MA (US) USDA zone 6 cold-temperate coastal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How would you go about boiling peat, though? You might have quite a mess to clean up after! [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] But that would probably separate the lignins and tannins (the real 'magic' of the tea) more quickly.

Alvin, good idea (not the pine needles idea!). The pine needles idea, like some inventions, may have seemed ingenious and world-changing but turned out to be a nasty volatile sludge. Kind of like those scrubbers you attach to a cat's paws...

Chris

9. Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast