Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Misting--good idea or not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you all have been so helpful with my last question, here are another two. Thanks again for your attention.

I can't resist the idea that I ought to mist these things at the end of the day with a little distilled water. Is this necessary? The soil is very damp, but there is no cover on the pot and we have forced-air heat.

Also--has anyone ever experimented with a little vinegar in the water for VFTs? If acidity is what they like, distilled vinegar would certainly give it, as well as some antibacterial protection. Vinegar does the job on a lot of slimes and molds.

If it's never been tried, I am willing to give it a shot once I see which of these poor little babies is going to survive my inexperienced care. If misting is a good idea, that is probably how I would deliver the diluted vinegar solution.

--SO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some think misting is a good idea if you live in an especially dry place, so you might want to try it. Just do it on one to see if it makes any difference.
    The vinegar might smell a bit [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] You might want to try making a 'peat tea' by soaking some peat in water and using that water in the trays.
    You only really need to do this if your plants have been in the same medium for a while as it can take a couple of years before there's any noticable drop in acidity. If you were to try vinegar you only need to add it to the trays a couple of times, I wouldn't try misting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I forgot you have the 4 rhizomes don't you? Well I wouldn't bother with any misting or vinegar - they don't need it. If you have just planted them up then they'll be in very acidic soil anyway.
    You just need to put them in the brightest place you can find - either on a windowsill or greenhouse and keep them warm. Room temperature is fine. If you have only just got them then it can take them a week or so to get over the shock, during which time they might not grow at all.
    Patience is what you need for rhizomes. Come June they should be pretty sizeable plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peatmoss is naturally acidic and as long as you water with mineral free water it should remain fairly acidic. There should be no need for vinegar or adding acid. One goof and you will make pickles out of your plants.
    Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, everyone.

I will wait on the vinegar spray until I see mold or mildew; I am hopeful that I never will.

I think I'll go with the tea idea, however, since this will make for less worry later.

I'll mist one of them for awhile to see what difference it makes, if any.

So far, so good--I've got a trap maturing on one of them, and no serious leaf loss yet (only one leaf on one of the plants is a sure goner). EG sent me some good plants, obviously.

--SO

(Edited by steveo at 4:41 am on April 1, 2002)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote: from Tony Paroubek on 3[img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]6 pm on Mar. 31, 2002
    Peatmoss is naturally acidic and as long as you water with mineral free water it should remain fairly acidic. There should be no need for vinegar or adding acid. One goof and you will make pickles out of your plants.
    Tony
    [/QUOTE]

*Tasty* pickles? [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried "misting" my plants once and along with the mist came larger drops. These triggered a lot of my traps. So don't mist your plants would be my advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    misting is fine, as long as you use a spray bottle that produces an atomizing mist, i.e. you spray, and the mistl itterally dissolves into thin air.

On top of that, dont aim directly at the plant, but over it, and around it, or if directly at it, be a distance from it where the mist is alread dissipated into the air so your not hitting it with water.

Then, your great.

I mist my flytraps on my back porch every single day, it is hot enough, sometimes, I have to add distilled water to the pitchers of my sars sometimes too...

9. Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast