What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARGH!

Em. So. I feel like I might be impatient. But anyway, got my first venus flytrap yesterday. So I feel a bit guilty for probably buying a plant to kill it (but then again, this site claims that they aren't hard to raise despite popular belief). I'm sure it's stressed out. It doesn't have even a little bit of red on the traps, it's light, translucent green. It looks so delicate, all the hairs look thin, long, key word: delicate. It came in a plastic terrarium, I haven't removed it from there becuase there are 3 little fruit flies (it appears) in there. They're unsubstantial meals. There are 2 of those that when I bought it have been trapped by my plant (mwahahaha) but eh I don't know how long ago that is. So I've been watching it (and watching it and watching it) and I've seen flies walk all over the same leaf about 4 different times. The trap hasn't moved (at all). Then today...separate leaf...and it hasn't moved. Yesterday I also found 2 bugs: a spider and a moth (so maybe they're not preferential meals but I found them...) and they're all sorta big for my trap. Yesyes, about 1/2 the size of one leaf. Now that I think about it about every single bug I've seen (average size) are pretty big for my trap. But the question remains: what if I dunk them in there and they just suceed to live happiliy because my trap doesn't trap? Hmmm...does this mean I have to wait for the new leaves to unfurl? (which I've heard takes a while). Do I just need to give it rest time? I'm leaving on vacation in about 2 weeks. So...also don't want to overfeed it. The bugs are in my refrigerator right now...chilling. The spider seemed to have just moseyed it's way in there a while back. He seems to be doing fine. The moth doesn't a wonderful fainting act. Anyways...my question is: to feed or not to feed? (That is if you read down this far.)

Hey Poke,

Odds are you plant was poked and prodded a lot before you bought it. This will lead to the traps not working as they only shut a limited number of times.

The best thing you can do for your plant is check that it is in peat moss. If it isn't then re-pot it, if it is leave it alone. Put it on the tray system and leave about 1 inch of distilled or R/O water in the tray. Let the plant grow and get strong in its own time. Once it starts establishing itself then you can thing about other things like removing the dome and feeding it
smile.gif

On a side note, if something does go wrong and your plant does die DO NOT give up. I have been growing CPs for years and it is just this year that I have been able to grow VFTs really well. I can't begin to tell you the number I have killed in all my years
smile.gif

Best of luck and keep us posted

Pyro

Thanks
smile.gif
, now if I only knew what peat moss looks like. There is some kind of moss like substance down there. So what's good about peat moss? (Must go research.)
Good news! It trapped a spider. *sniff* <---maternal tears
Heheheh. VFTs are cool! Must...get...more...

Lol. Peat moss is kinda like... kinda sorta...kinda like... do some resarch... I will too...

Back