Thread: Arghhhh. Fungus attacking VFT

Red face

I bought the VFT a couple weeks ago and they were doing fine. I fed it bottled water for about a week till I found this site. They now have a diet of distilled water. But I in the past few days I noticed traps were dying. . . and today I found a fungus (or greyish/greenish fuzzy mold) on one of the dying leaves and a little on the soil around the base of the plant. Am I overwatering the plant? (I usually keep it sitting in a 1/4" of water every other day.) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    I live in Chaffee County, Colorado, USA
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

Hi and welcome to the forums [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] !

Fungus is usually due to high humidity and poor air circulation. *VFTs don't need high humidity like some tropical plants. Most VFTs do fine as long as it is 35% and higher. * *To improve air circulation you can place it outside or near an open window. *Direct sunlight won't hurt them once they are adjusted to it. *They actully do best with lots of direct sun. *You can cut the dead leaves off to prevent the fungus from spreading and gently scrape the top mm or so of soil off where ever it has fungus. *You can also try wiping it off with a q-tip.
    If worse comes to worse you can use a fungicide.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List