What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Woah! it worked!

A week or two ago I fed one of my VFT's a spider, much to big for the trap, so it closed, but with legs sitcking out and it couldnt seal or start digestion, so I just decided to pluck it off a day or two ago, and was about to toss it when I spotted the newly sprouted LARGE flytrap, it was big enough to fit the little trap I held in my hand EASY. So...I did it. I put the small VFT trap that held a large spider into the bigger one, and it closed, and sealer, I stuck a toothpick in to make sure digestion started, and today it opened, all thats left is 2 spider legs all gooey. It completey ate itseslf, which doesnt make sense, as if it got dissolved by its own juice what happens when it digests. That was awesome, the plant seems to be scowling at me now, but thats just my imagination, cool, it ate itself and a meal.

Dead leaves can not protect themselves from the stomic acid.

Hehe, leaves have stomachs?
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vertigo @ April 17 2003,12:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hehe, leaves have stomachs?  
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Stomic acid aka Hydrochloric Acid.

I know that, i was j/k. We all know they don't have stomachs, hehe, just figured it would be referred to as digestive juices or bile or something.
tounge.gif

It's impossible for the small leaf and spider to dissolve away in one day. I'm guessing that the trigger hairs were not stimulated enough for the big trap to fully close. So the leaf opened up, and something like the wind blew the smaller trap out of the larger one.

Back