Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Imagine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well back on garden web this was a big discussion... one guy bought a refrigerated cooler, with a thermostat on it, and used that, I personally think that an aquarium chiller is the best way to go, have it running chilled water through a water fall, that would keep humidity high, and temperatures cool...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you know guys, the easy answer to this problem is that since VFT less than a year old don't need dormacy you just need to keep getting new baby plants each fall that does not need to go dormant. Guess that means at some point you will own so many you will need to get rid of a few---let me know if I can help you out of that problem I'll be glad to take a few off your hands LOL

Dormacy---The time of year when the plants rest and I dream of how they will prosper next sprng. Wish I could do the same with my kids [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Linda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many cultivars for the VFT developed such as the Green Dragon VFT, Sawtooth, Red Dragon VFT, and etc. Why can't it be possible if botantists are able to develop these varieties?

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish that I could give you an answer on that one Eplants maybe they haven't even tried who knows? It would be nice if they could do that though. Although I would still keep the plants that I already have cause I've grown attached to them and still have to deal with giving them the boot and sending them outside for dormacy.
    Oh and nice try Linda [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] but I just couldn't part with my plants. And I do have about 12 vft babies but they aren't as fun as feeding the big guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if they did get a vft that required no dormancy period,what is the sense? There are no bugs in winter so it would grow slow anyway,although i guess the domesticated ones would still be getting fed by their growers but the main point is that nature has made them evolve like this for a reason(s) and you can't really go changing a thing of nature just because people want to enjoy it all year round-go and buy a nep if u wanna enjoy it all year round,but personly i don't think a three month dormancy period is too much to ask for,i mean it's only 12 weeks-thats nothing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mondo,
    I could get bugs from the pet shop during the winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, if plants were ment to be as they are in nature we would not have a jillion kinds of tea rose or funky colored flytraps. There is, and always will be a place for the strictly natural plants in propagation but I think that the altering of plants has given us some of the most attractive plants in existance. Look at the various Sarracenia hybrids for example. If you want an evergreen flytrap then go for it! I imagine that if you gathered up a lot of the different varieties and mutations and kept them growing under lights and see who weakened least in a given time, them crossed your two winners and repeated, it would eliminate the least suitable quickly and, with any luck, you should have a suitable plant in 10 or 15 years, really lucky in 5-10. Plus it's a really good excuse to have several hundred flytraps around the house! Follow your hearts desire, choose your goals wisely, GO FOR IT!

P.S. if you end up with a cup trap red fused tooth giant flytrap, I am interested!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Echo... Echo.... :o)

It would take a bit longer than 10 15 years I expect, each plant would need to be raised to maturity (so that it can flower) and then at least two years on either side of a dormancy to see how the plant handles itself, and of course, you would need to continue watching the older plants long after you have moved on to the next few generations... it would be very involved, but you know what they say about building a better mouse trap!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast