Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light Requirements?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a grow light at the store today and a light that clips onto the side of my terrarium (I have my plant in the origional pot sitting in a small pie tin with about 1/2inch water at the bottom). It says 8 hours of direct sunlight, but I have heard that it needs 12-16 hours if you are not using natural sunlight. And how close can I have the light to the plant, or rather how close SHOULD I have the light to the plant?? Whats best for these guys? I want mine to live a long time!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #Moderation Mode

Moving to flytrap care forum -

P.C.

Moved here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    woohoo lighting questions!

Can you be more specific as to type of light bulb and wattage?

TOny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooooh, I had the same type question around here somewhere clueless. Have a look under General Questions.

But just since i have some time, artificial light is MUCH differant from sunlight...obviously. Your plant will require a good 12-14 hours under artificial light to survive. As for height it depends on your bulb...
    - Are you using long thin round type jiggys (bah i forgot their name) or does your light look like a normal light bulb?
    ...i got a blub, and it gets bloody hot and emmitts alot of heat, i placed a fan on it and it seems to keep it under control, just make sure the HEAT isn't getting to your plant. Warmth is ok, but take under consideration that your plant will be there for 14 hours a day and you dont want to burn it or it will easily die.

Just to add to that, if you use a fan don't allow it to blow onto the plant or some funny things might happen.

Mix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like a regular lightbulb, but its plastic and doesn't get very hot at all...its been on for a good 10 hours already today and I can still barely feel warmth, and then only when I lay my fingers directly on the blub. As to the wattage, I'm not sure, but its low. It also said on the box that it had the full color spectrum in the light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never heard of a plastic light bulb.
    is that even possible?
    well if its of a low wattage then it probly won't be enough.
    I have my CP's growing under 4 power compact bulbs and they seem to be growing quite well.
    when you look at the bulb does it look brihght?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a plastic bulb? weird...

Were gonna need wattage and type to give you any real info... but I suspect as was said, to be plastic it would have to be low wattage, and that means it probably isn't bright enough...

Just to give you an idea, I have 4 48" tubes over my terrarium, and I still want MORE! Apparently NASA has had a recent break through where they can emit light as powerfull (at close range) as the sun, for hydroponic growing on the mars missions, but we don't have that type of technology...

But I can make you a good gurantee, unless it's a high pressure sodium bulb, it probably aint enough... one never is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am guessing that it is probably a low wattage fluorescent tube inside a plastic casing. That would explain the temperature... any other light source I can think of for growing plants runs pretty hot. Brand name or anything like that???

Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast