What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question

• Thread starter olive28
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
O

olive28

hi everyone!
i bought a vft about 6 weeks ago and it is doing very well thanks to all the great advice i've read here! when i bought it, it had a small stalk of grass near the middle of the plant. it looked neat so i left it alone and now it's grown over a foot tall, with many other blades. it flopped over last night in the wind so i'd like to know, is this a part of the vft and can i pull it out? it's really very beautiful, the stem of the grass had turned red, and it didn't seem to interfere with the growth of my vft, which is doing very well.
thanks for any info!

olive

Welcome Olive! Could you post a picture so we could see what this other growth is? That would help a lot.
smile.gif

Olive,
Well, the grass is not part of the VFT. I can't really say whether is should stay or go, though...
confused.gif

There might be a danger of roots competing for space if the pot is small, but you'll have to be the judge based on the health of the VFT...
alien.gif

Hi Olive

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new plant.
smile.gif

Hmmmmm....sounds very interesting. It could be seed of some other plant got in the pot. Possibly another CP...young sarracenia could look like blades of grass sort of.

I had a pot of s. psittacinia come with a "gift with purchase"...a little sundew.
smile.gif

But a pic would be good if possible.

Suzanne

i took some pics today. hopefully someone will know what it is. after reading all the replies, i'm now a little worried about what it could be!

venus_02.jpg

venus_03.jpg

venus_01.jpg

thanks for any info!

olive

Hey Olive, it looks like grass to me. I often get grass sprouting in the sphagnum. I think you should just clip it off as low as you can. Pulling it out would probably disturb the roots too much. Keep clipping it down.

Anybody think it's something more exotic?

Hi Olive -

Looks like grass to me too. I agree with Nathan, that if you just tried to pull it out it might disturb the roots.

One thing you could do is repot the plant into a bigger container, something about 5 inches deep. Knock out the plant, swish in a bowl of water (I add a drop or two of Superthrive, and let soak about 15 minutes) to help you separate them - pull out the grass, and put into the new pot.

Bill
rolleyes.gif

Hello,

Very nice 'Dente'

just give it a test pull while holding the crown into place on the VFT with your other hand. Spaghnum is a pretty loose medium and will probably come out alright without too much disturbance, especially if you just got it. If it seems really entangled by not wanting to come out easily; then do what was mentioned and just keep it clipped.

Back