Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaf cuttings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi i just heard that you can cut a part of your VFT and plant it and make it grow? Also someone has also said that they will trade me for a cutting off my dentae? But i dont know which part of the plant to cut!
    \"The plant grew. It\'s resoruces were taken away. He was forced to evolve. He struggled and pushed and grew, until finally one day it sprouted a trap. A bug landed in, he was a little to noisy and got himself locked in. The plant now had resoruces, and he grew happy as a VFT for years.\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, you grab the leaf, and pull down on the leaf, all the way down, and take some of the rhizome (white part of the bottom), and lay the leaf on it's side, and plant it in sphagnum peat in a humid place, and use fungicide to prevent fungal infections from the humidity. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] Just my $0.02
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

hey I was wonderin to is the what is the white stuff like u meen the root or is ther white stuff just below the suface that is root just beginnig to form or is it part of the bulb

sorry for all the questions I'm interested too
    The medicated state of mind you find is overrated

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The base of the VFTs leaves form a rhizome, which is an underground stem that has both roots and shoots.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, you don't actually have to uproot the plant to get to the rhizome? Can you just dig in a little? I'm curious too. (lots of friends interested in the carnivores and I'd love to share) How long does it take for them to grow into adults? Is it as long as a seedling? Sorry for so many questions and thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can remove the leaf (with the white rhizome) without uprooting the entire plant, but do it carefully as to not upset the main root system. The white rhizome is very fragile and may break off, if not careful.

Remove the soil (or peat moss) to expose the section of leaf you plan to cut. Peel the leaf off gently in a downward motion to remove the white part. The roots do not have to be attached.

Cover the white portion (rhizome) with peat moss and keep moist and humid. It may take 6-12 weeks for new growth to appear...so be patient. During this time, part or all of the green section of the leaf may turn black...leave it alone !!! It still may grow.

How big the new growth will be is partly based on the size of the leaf cutting. But for the most part, the new shoot will be small, but bigger than a seedling. It will still take 2-3 years for it to grow to mature size.

Hope that helps. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanx
    The medicated state of mind you find is overrated

speedybure10
    Rhizomes, i remember that from my plant biology class...I vaguely remember that ferns grow off of rhizomes. So does that mean a VFT is a fern?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast