Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vft descriptions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information Stephen. I have moved the Bestcarnivorous plants.com link entry in my Carnivorous Plant Photo Finder from Dingley Giant to Bigmouth. Upon closer inspection, I notice that the photo is simply identified as "D_muscipula_giant" and in the web text as an example of a "wide mix of giant forms". My mistake.

I try to accurately place link entries under the correct plants. Sometimes the misidentification occurs by the owner of the photo and sometimes I mess up. Once I learn about an incorrect identification, I either move the link to the correct location or put a note on that entry stating that the owner may have an incorrectly identifed plant.

-Bob-

Also there are alot of misleading photos and people who are not IDing these plants properly. Under Dingley Giant on the Carnivorous Plant Photo Finder I noticed that the photo from Bestcarnivorous plants .com for Dingley Giant was actually a photo for Bigmouth aka Red-Purple.[/QUOTE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are very welcome Bob. Thank you for your outstanding webpage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, have we covered Giants enough? If so what is next on the description list? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    VFT's to offer here===>http://www.phongvft.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And of course there's "Low Giant", which i'm guessing would be just a low growing giant strain. I should be growing this one soon enough, and hope to have it sitting next to my Dingley to see how the term "Giant" compares between the two.

Incidently, I picked up a so called "typical" vft from a nursery at the end of the spring which had traps about two inches long and leaves that extended an easy 4-5". The petioles aren't flared at all, basically thin. I'm going to be extremely curious to see what the rhizome looks like later in the year.

Hmmm, next?

Well, we could get into an endless debate on the red forms...seriously endless, too much variation is possible from seed. Especially now that everyone is getting over the myth that letting a vft flower will kill it 100% of the time. We could cover the known types though and get a full description of them...'Akai Ryu', Red Piranha, 'Royal Red'...anyone have an actual description of cantley's btw?

At some point i'd also like to discuss the differences between dentate or dente, or dentata...your choice...and 'Jaws'.
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got info on the reds and dente.

Akai ryu-Darkest of the red forms. Turns red all over. Also a vigourous red grower.

Royal red-A lighter colour red. This plant Is red all over except for the margins.

Red pirahna- An all red sawtooth.

Clayton's volcanic red- I heard from trev that this plant has thin petioles that spews out like a volcano. It is red all over.

Holland red- A rather weak red form. All red forms are descendants of this form. This plant was found in a batch of wild collected plants.

Oops forgot dente....

Ok dente and detate was a TC mutation.

Detate traps was wild collected.
    VFT's to offer here===>http://www.phongvft.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might go through my notes soon and add more to the list. I have tried to document what the differences are as well. Let's keep this thread alive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Traps- A large vigorous plant.
    Burbank's Best- An all green type.
    Dutch-Large growing,imported from Holland.
    Fang-One of the largest growers Triffid Park sells.
    Fast-Quick growing,green plant.
    Paradisia-A large robust plant,all green.
    Vigorous-A large green plant,quick growing.
    Triffid Traps-A large fast growing plant with slightly red inner traps. Doesn't die back in winter completely.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok...so, have all these variations been officially registered so the descriptions are definitive as to a standard? Seems like there is conflicting information or uncertainty as to what something is called and what it looks like.

If someone goes to the trouble to develop all these varieties, why wouldn't you take the time to make sure they're properly registered so there is no confusion? Ok, maybe not NO confusion but a standard sure would help.

So...are these guys registered?

Suzanne

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

9. Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast