Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vft descriptions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok guys, time to get back to this subject. Breaking down the differences between the milliad of vft's out there today.

First, let's go over the giants. Anyone growing one with a specific name? Slack's, Dingley's, Low Giant, etc...
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I have a Dingley's Giant, but I'm not quite sure how to discern it from a group of them. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I labored intensively on this subject many moons ago. I had it all down,the descriptions,etc. Then, Mike King unintentionally threw me a curve ball as to the identity of one of Adrian Slack's giant forms, and,as of now,I have to work this out. Maybe in the future I will revisit this thread and my pursuit of the identity of all of the "Giants".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had 3 Baby Dingley Giant Vft's(these originated in Dingley Australia). One died from a bird ripping it out of its pot,the other wasn't very vigorous. The one I have now is too small to describe with great detail. However, There is a japanese webpage I am trying to relocate with a few pictures of a Dingley Giant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, for starters, the great carnivorous plant grower Adrian Slack had three "Giant" forms in his collection. The first was what is now known as South West Giant. This plant fell into the hands of Alistair Pearce who named it that. It is "always" an upright plant with very large traps. the traps get "only" light pink. The second "Giant" originating from Slack's collection is G14, also known as Dirk Ventham's Giant. It is less frequently known as Mike King's 1979 Clone. It has a growth habit of a typical VFT with large traps. Traps and teeth become purple-red. The third "Giant" known to Slack was G16, more commonly known as Slack's Giant. This plant always grows prostrate(it never has erect petioles)and has blood red,not purple traps like G14 . Dingley Giant was not grown by Slack and is hard to ID. To the best of my ability based on photos and the diminuitive size of my sole survivor plant-it is a semi-prostrate(mostly ground -hugging) plant with pink to red traps and what appears to be mostly heart-shaped leaves. Needless to say it is reputed to have large traps. These four plants are the most reputable of the "Giant" forms. I believe many of the other so called "Giant" forms may be crosses of these, especially in the countries of origin. Example: the Giant known as Low Giant may be the same plant as Slack's Giant(G16) I have no evidence to prove this. However, as you can see there has been alot of renaming of the source plants with respect to the aforementioned cultivars of Slack's. I hope this helps. This is by no means an exhaustive work, I have many other notes on the "Giants". Also there are alot of misleading photos and people who are not IDing these plants properly. Under Dingley Giant on the Carnivorous Plant Photo Finder I noticed that the photo from Bestcarnivorous plants .com for Dingley Giant was actually a photo for Bigmouth aka Red-Purple. Happy Giant hunting.
    Stephen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zappafan-Thanks for sharing this info, and I am sure you got the write answers. I also am very happy of this tread. I hope to cover every type of VFT out there From Typical to reds to Mutants. Now Here is my info of Dingley's(From an Ausy friend) ingley's Giant can grow up to a dinner plant in span when mature. It will have traps up to 1 5/8 inch long. Traps can gain a red hue. Dingley's is ot a well upright grower but will have long petioles. I see that some of this info matches with yours Stephan. Again I really want people to describe the different forms out there.
    VFT's to offer here===>http://www.phongvft.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other large forms:
    Bigmouth-Huge Intense red purple traps on very short petioles.

Vigorous-Just a very vigorous typical plant.

Fang-Quite a large grower. Has red traps with extra long cilia.
    VFT's to offer here===>http://www.phongvft.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slack's Giant:

That was last year, this year it's gone a bit mad and has divided into about four growth points with mostly smaller traps, although it has managed a couple of the giant ones.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast