What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how long can they go without any food

How long can a VFT go without food? Do they actually require food to survive or does it just make them grow faster?

I have heard about once a month is enough some say twice a month?

They slooowly decline in health when not fed. It can take longer than three years before they die from not having food...

When all my traps are open, I usually feed 2-3 of them depending on what size bug it is, or if they catch anything themselves. Thats if they do, cause mine shut too slow to catch anythin!

A VFT will not die if it isn't fed. It will still photosynthesise and grow, but be smaller than a similar fed plant. Bugs act as fertiliser and like any other plant it will grow bigger if you fertilise but also suffer if you fertilise too much!

Accually, it takes mroe than 3 years depending on how new the soil is. In the wild, they can go there whole life w/o food. But, if you never feed them, the eventually get used to not having food, so if you put a bug in every trap, it would about die!

that is what I figured. So I guess it won't hurt to go a month at a time without feeding them.

Yea some of mine close way to slow to catch anything still moving.

I have a 2 year old that has never been fed... but the one year olds out on my patio that regularly dine, are 2 times the size.

It won't hurt them, but they definately benefit from the occasional snack. Unfortunately all mine seem to eat is daddy long legs, and it's a 50/50 bet they lose the trap every time they catch one.

Back