What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft mystery

I woke up this morning and like everymorning I check and see how my plants are doing. I noticed that one of my vfts was not doing so well. I've had it for about a week and in that time it was doing quite well. It had been sending up a new leaf and a scape which I cut. Now the new leaf is limp andthe trap looks dessicated. I checked the soil moisture and it was damp and it's neighboring vft is doing amazingly well. Peeked into the rossetted and could see a new leaf coming up so I hope that it could jsut be a one time deal. Oh and one other thing too is towards the base of the leaf it looks like its turning brown....could anyone know what is up?

Are they the same type of VFT? How damp is the substrate?

Sounds like it has some sort of disease attacking the roots/bulb. OR the roots and existing leaves were damaged during transport/replanting if any. Limp and dessicated leaves when the potting mix is damp is a classic sign of root or lower stem rot OR damage to the roots/lower stem. The plant is unable to absorb water and transport it to the leaves visible by us. Another sign is the base of the leaf turning brown around the base. when leaves die naturally it is from the leaf tip/edges first.

Tony

Sounds like a fungus disease to me. How far above the crown and newly emerging leaf did you cut the scape? What does the scape stump look like? Sometimes cutting the scape near the crown could result in introducing a disease. I would treat the plant with a fungicide. It may not help, but it should not hurt either.

All of the older leaves are still firm even though they too are starting to die off...but that's supposed to happen. The leaf in question is the first summer leaf. I cut the scape off pretty close to the crown, but it's nicely healed and there is no evidence of fungus. There is a newly emerging leaf I can see coming up, so when it gets larger I'll have something to compare the wilth leaf with.

your VFT might have root rot, fungus nats, or mites. re-pot it and separate it from your other plants, and while you re-pot look for root rot, fungus nat larvae, and mites. And if it has roo-rot, water less.

It certainly did have root rot. There was nothing there but mush. Well, it's too bad, but ya live and learn.

That's too bad... It's better than mites though, it can't spread to other CPs... Well, it can't spread, but it might pop up in another plant if you water too much, make sure the trays in your pots dry up for a day or two before watering again,
-Spec

If any of the leaves still have some of the white rhizome on them you can use them as leaf cuttings. Clean them up and treat them with fugicide if you have any, and you might get a couple of them to sprout new plants
biggrin.gif

alien.gif

What causes root rot? Is it too high of soil moisture or something else entirely? Could it be a combination of things like an injured leaf at teh base and a high moisture level? Just wondering.

Hard to say exactly what caused it this time but generally speaking it is related to stress. More common causes for stress would be excessive moisture, extreme temperatures, injury or physical disturbance, inadequate air circulation.

Tony

Back