What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can i leave my vft out

hi, new at this, i have a small bog pond beside m my koi pond and have some vft in there thay are doing great but what should i do this winter, i am in atlanta Ga, will thay do ok outside this winter or do i need to bring them in?

What you will probably want to do is put mulch over them and maybe a plastic liner.

Anyone else from there who can give some advice?

Temps for the VFT shouldn't go below low 30's ( I am sure that they can go a little lower, but I haven't played with it
smile.gif
)

I do believe that Gerogia is below NC ( where VFT's are from )....They seem to weather the winter there, they should be fine where you are.

What are winter temperatures like where you are?

For people in ther South ( like me ), I really can't leave them out, although I am going to try this year. To see what happens.

But for people in the North, they can't leave them out, it gets too cold
smile.gif

So you should be that 'happy middle' that most people envy
wink.gif

it dose get below 30 sometimes, it has got down to 10 before but only a day or two at a time

I also live in the Atlanta area and I have over 30 vft's in my outdoor bog, I have posted pics in some of the forums. The only care my vft's get is in the spring I remove the tree leaves that fell the previous fall, that's my mulch. I do check after a hard freeze and replant the newer ones that have been pushed out of the ground. I know someone in VA who mulches their plants with straw.

Back