What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is He dead?

• Thread starter alicatv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    grow vft
A

alicatv

Ok, so I fed my VFT, which I named, I call him Vinny. I fed him a cricket and now that stem is blackened and appears to be dying. I've been watering it with distilled water and he sits on the back of my toilet in the bathroom- he really loves all the moisture that he gets from the shower. I just don't understand why this leaf would've died after I fed it. I didn't force it upon him or anything. What went wrong? How can I continue to help him grow?

Sometimes there may be some bacteria or something on the bug you feed the plant.

that will kill the trap.

It is nothing that you did...the plant just had a case of 'heart burn
wink.gif
'

Just pinch off the dead parts and don't worry.

ALso, another thing would be the trap could not fully close around the bug, that would cause the decaying bug to mold, and thus killing the trap.

When you feed the plant, make sure the bug can fit into the trap. Most people go for something about 2/3 the size of the trap.

The trap will need to fully close around the bug!
smile.gif

wait a minute.......

it must form a complete seal around the bug? like hmmm;....

cause even if a leg is sticking out it wouldn;t close

now will it ALWAYS mold if its not fully closed (eg. no oxygen in it(

In reference to Aliciatv's original note, is it ok to keep your CP's in the bathroom? I know the humidity is good but isn't the moisture in the air made up of 'tap' water? Won't that damage the plant?
confused.gif

Keep the plant in the bathroom does no harm because the harmful minerals in tap water won't evaporate with the water. They are too heavy to suspend in the air with the humidity.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ktulu @ Sep. 16 2002,5:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Keep the plant in the bathroom does no harm because the harmful minerals in tap water won't evaporate with the water.  They are too heavy to suspend in the air with the humidity.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I'm not sure that's completely true, because when I run tap water in my humidifier it leaves white dust on my furniture. Plus you can smell the chlorine so it must be in the air too.
Just a thought?

We dont have any chlorine in our tap water, we have a well instead. I like the water alot better anyway! Anyway, I just leave my VFT outside in the summer, it is so humid here.

Steam from the shower is composed mostly from water vapor (steam) from the hot water that you use to shower.  Most of the minerals are left behind when water turns to steam.  Thats why distilled water is fairly pure.  This also applies to steam humidifiers that boil water to produce their mist.  Ultrasonic humidifiers use high frequincy vibration to break water into very small droplets.  The minerals in the water are trapped in the droplets and show as a white film on the furniture as they settle out of the air when the water droplet they are trapped in evaporates.

thanks to everyone that answered. I think I know now why the trap died. The cricket's leg is still sticking outside of the trap. I mean, I'm pretty sure the trap is dead, because it's just kinda hanging there lifeless. I did try to feed it a fly a few weeks ago, but it didn't want it, so I figured, "hey! cricket in the basement buggin me, I'll capture it and feed it to Vinny." I guess, not such a good idea? Hopefully this new trap that's forming will do better! Any other tips for a newbie?

Back