What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting

I've got some Green Dragons from this site that are on the way. I have a round fishbowl type terrarium that I guess is about a gallon in capacity. I just mixed 50/50 spaghnum peat and perlite for the whole thing about 4 inches deep. I will leave it uncovered as the sides should keep humidity up alright.

Is that all I need to do?

Some people here I read will layer, but I don't think VFT'S need this like a regular house plant does, as this is for drainage, right?

What are your thoughts on this?

Flytraps don't really like it super wet. I'd put in some glass marbles or something at the bottom if I where you

First off WELCOME!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

You can leave it the way you plan to, but you will have to keep an eye on the water level of the soil.

Darcie is right. If you have the water level higher than the plants, you can risk them rotting.

If you plan on NOT putting something on the bottom, press the soil with your finger to check for dampness. If the soil is moist, I wouldn't add any water.

When you add water to the bowl, add it on the sides and not on top of the plants. Not too much. less than 1 cup. You are just shooting for moist soil.

If you wanted to place some rokc or something at the bottom, it is qually as fine.

I would however rinse the rock, marble, whatever....just so you don't have the dust from it in the soil.

If you layer is, it will help with drainage and will probably keep you from making a mistake ( if you were to make one )

You will still need to check the moisture in the soil, but now what you would do is keep the water level right above the rock. that way you will always have the soil mosit.

Hope this helps.

smile.gif

Thanks for the tips, all.

I like the way a round fishbowl looks and I thought having the surrounding sides would help with the humidiy factor. I'm leaving the top uncovered. I don't think I will layer, but will watch carefully how much water it receives. Leaving the top off will make it more forgiving if I do accidentally give it a little too much. VFT'S can take soggy conditions for a short period as I'm sure they do in the wild; as long as it is allowed to evaporate off. The mix is 4" deep which should be deep enough for VFT'S.

I think it is very interesting that VFT'S seem to grow more and bigger traps in smaller pots. I take it that by smaller, you mean 4-5 inch for an adult plant?

Thanks, again.

The plant size will reach around 4-5 inches in diameter...

The traps don't get much over 1inch in length.

Your setup should be fine, the only concern ( which you are going to watch for ) is the water level.

You are correct about them taking soggy conditions for a short time, but in the long run it isn't good for the plant.

Good Luck

and I want to see pics when you have it up and running!!
smile.gif

Back