Thread: My vfts

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote (NickHubbell @ July 07 2003,02:35)
    Correct me if I am wrong, but don't venus flytraps grow in North Carolina?[/QUOTE]
    Er,ah...the climate and terrain around Wilmington,N.C.(VFT Natural Range Area) is a wee bit different from that found in NW North Carolina...which is mountainous terrain with much colder winters than the subtropical tidewater coatal plain where the VFTs are native.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Seminole,
    Question about that. How much cooler do you mean by "a wee bit?" I'm just asking because I've heard of VFT's surviving outdoors as far north as central Jersey, though they may have been mulched. I think these guys are sturdier than we give 'em credit for. I could be way off base here, but I think that unless you're elevation is quite dramatic, the VFT's should survive just fine even in NW North Carolina. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (schloaty @ July 07 2003,8:40)
    Hey Seminole,
    Question about that. How much cooler do you mean by "a wee bit?" I'm just asking because I've heard of VFT's surviving outdoors as far north as central Jersey, though they may have been mulched. I think these guys are sturdier than we give 'em credit for. I could be way off base here, but I think that unless you're elevation is quite dramatic, the VFT's should survive just fine even in NW North Carolina. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img][/QUOTE]
    Ah ,there you have a prime example of mistaken thinking that comes from making assumptions founded in generalities.

I was visiting a friend last summer in New Jersey and his kids were relating their experience of seeing it snow there some years back.The point being -snow in their part of N.J. is a rare experience....visit NW N.C. and you will find the the folks there quite familiar with snow.

A couple of weekends ago I was on the Oregon coast and saw a banana tree that lived outdoors the year 'round.If one traveled not too many miles inland from that spot the winter temps would be brutally cold....and freeze the fronds by mid October.

So to answer your question,NW N.C.(compared to SW N.C.) is not only bitterly cold some winters ,but also,the soil conditons are of the alkaline freestone stream variety which is also much different from the blackwater acidic wetlands VFTs find in SE N.C.

Any area as large as a state is composed of microclimates which may vary greatly one from the other.What is true for one can not be assumed to be either true or correct for another.

Before I gave out advice such as VFTs can overwinter in NW N.C I would most certainly qualify the statement with caution.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12