What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just a couple of questions on leaf cuttings

I have tried twice to propagate my typical venus flytrap with no success. The white part that you pull off the bulb always rots on me when I put them in spagnum. I am going to try again in about a week when a good leaf grows on the outside of the plant. But this time I will probably just put the cutting in a dish of distilled water and see if it works. Has anyone done this and had success.

And when you do leaf cuttings does the plant grow faster than seed does, or how long does it take to get a pretty good size plant from cuttings.

I think you are supposed to wait until your plant is quite mature. And then try and propagate it by splitting the plant in half or in a quarter, with the roots and then plant it. I am not 100% on this, but I have heard of people doing this with other plants. I know on a type of flower if you don't split it like every other year then it dies. VFT's might be different though I am not sure, so just wait for some other peoples posts too see what they say
smile.gif

Hi nahasapeemapetilon and welcome to the forum
biggrin.gif
!
I haven't tried leaf cuttings but if I remember correctly it's best to get as much of the white base part as possible, lay the whole leaf on your soil mix and cover the end of it with a little bit of soil. Keep it in a humid, damp, brightly lit container and in a couple of weeks you should see tiny plantlets. It takes a couple years for them to become mature plants. Most of my VFTs came from divisions off a VFT I got at Wal Mart 5 or 6 years ago.
I believe the fastest way to grow plants to maturity in a short period of time is by tissue culture.

Back