What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

stains on the leaves

I noticed that my vft has 1 deformed trap and there are like hard water stains on the leaves. two of the leaves are wilting, so what should i do?
should i submerge it in water for a day or would that not help, also, my whole house is useing a water purification system that is very similar to RO water. should the water be okay to giv to my plant? the only thing it has in it is calcium

thank you

i also baught it yesterday from OSH, it had water stains on it since when i bought it

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">....my whole house is useing a water purification system that is very similar to RO water.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

nmtdriver,
  Could you explain what do you mean by it "is very similar to RO water"?

As for the spots on the leaves of your VFT's when you bought them, this would indicate they were probably watered with tap water at the store.  The deformed leafs are also a symtom of this, indicating that the roots have been damaged by the minerals in the tap water.

Your best bet is to thoroughly flush the the plants soil with purified water.  That is why I asked about your water system.  If for instance, you use a water softener, you are trading minerals for salts which are just as bad or worse.  Some RO systems, though, use a softener before the filter to help remove some of the minerals from the water before it gets to the RO filter.

Anyway, flush the soil with purified water to remove some of the minerals from it.  This should be done several times.  I would also change the water in its tray if you are using the tray system for watering, to remove any minerals that have leached out of the soil and into the tray water.   Once you have thoroughly flushed the soil and replaced the tray water it will hopefully begin to recover.  As long as the new growth in the center of the plant is green, it will be OK.

edit 9-16-02 @ 7:30 Sorry, I didn't realize this was so long winded
biggrin.gif

Back