What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proud papa

or more precisely nabs it's first fly.

I wasn't planning on feeding my VFT for some time yet.All the traps seemed rather small and the plant appeared to be doing fine living off it's reserves.

Then a housefly found it's way to my windowsill so I caught it with a swipe and released it into the VFT's terrarium world.

I expected the fly would crawl around the glass for a couple of days then expire and never really expected it to make it's way into the traps.

I came back several hours latter and to my surprize-no fly.I looked at the traps but didn't really see anything as there are so many and most of them still closed or only partialy opened. My curiosity aroused I opend the screen top and took out the flytrap for closer inspection.I found the errant fly tightly emeshed in one of the lower,soil level traps.Game over for the insect,nutrition for the developing plant.

I really have high hopes for this particular plant.It appears to me to be from a vigorous stock and a big treat for me-some of the traps are starting to turn pink inside and I hope red latter on. All the VFTs I previously grew were heterodoxa and remained green regardless of age or light intensity/duration.

interesting that all your previous plants came from heterodoxa stock.

I would suggest, if your excited about a little blushing, that you check into getting a green dragon, the coloration is spectacular.

Well ,that was long ago in a galaxy far away.The only source back then(that I knew of)was a novelty item mail order company that sold VFT bulbs occasionaly.The computer age has opened mind boggling opportunities for those of us that predate it and understand just how limited opportunities were before....especially those living outside of the large metropolitan areas.
alien.gif

I'm just now beginng to try my hand at VFT cultivation after a 4 decade hiatus.To see those traps beginnig to color up is really exciting for me.

As for the Green Dragons, they are due to arrive any day now.

I'd be willing to bet I helped ship your order out this weekend!

Thanks for that.....hope you picked some especially nice specimenns!
biggrin.gif

On pins and needles,waiting.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Seminole @ May 20 2003,09:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I came back several hours latter and to my surprize-no fly.I looked at the traps but didn't really see anything as there are so many  and most of them still closed or only partialy opened. My curiosity aroused I opend the screen top and took out the flytrap for closer inspection.I found the errant fly tightly emeshed in one of the lower,soil level traps.Game over for the insect,nutrition for the developing plant.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I guess you could say it was in the "no fly zone" hehe.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dyflam @ May 23 2003,1
wow.gif
)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I guess you could say it was in the "no fly zone" hehe.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Just hope he led a good and productive life as a fly.Maybe in his next incarnation he will be  back here as a butterfly or perhaps a praying mantis <!--emo&
rolleyes.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I guess you could say it was in the "no fly zone" hehe.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Ouch. That was worse than most of mine!
tounge.gif

Back