What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is 1 20watt enough

• Thread starter ISUBARUI
  • Start date
  • Tags
    flytrap
I

ISUBARUI

Is 1 24" 20watt cool white enough light for a single venus flytrap?

I don't know I think not. WELCOME TO THE FORUMS. This such a great place. When I first had a vft that was a long time ago, I bought a grow light that was 20 watts it worked great, I had the plant 3inches away from the plant and it has great color. Now I have about 215 watts of light. You can buy grow lights at the pet stores or any hardware store. You now will have fun with your plant and I bet you will purchase many more. If you willl buy a grow light you will have to keep it on for 16 hours. HAVE FUN!!!
biggrin.gif

no..not enough..
whats wrong with the sun?

speaking of that..im surious about something!
im going to start a new thread about terrariums..

scot

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ISUBARUI @ Mar. 21 2003,08:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is 1 24" 20watt cool white enough light for a single venus flytrap?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
um, watts doesn't mean much. Can you tell use the Lumes or Candles?

It will work, but like phil said it needs to be right on top of the plant.  Not right on top of the terrarium, I mean right on top of the plant. I did this for a while untill I had too many plants to fit under the light. Now they barely fit under my 1000w MH.

joe

Which light would be better then a:
20 watt, 24", 1230 lumens, 125 lux, 4200 kelvin or
20 watt, 24", 400 lumens, 55 lux, 18000 kelvin

20 watt, 24", 1230 lumens, 125 lux, 4200 kelvin I think this one.
biggrin.gif

I'm pretty sure that one good rule is: When in doubt, go for highest lumens
wink.gif

Although lumens does indicate which bulb puts out the most light it does not mean that it is one that puts out the most light in the waves lengths usable by plants. Comparing the two for example the second one has less lumens but also based on the kelvin is in a range of light that would have a high proportion in the blue light that plants could use for photosynthesis. Without a spectral graph there really is no way of knowing for sure exactly which bulb would have the highest PAR value (photosynthetic active radiation). They may in fact be equal as far as the plants growth is concerned. Personally I would go with the top bulb only because the plants will look more normal under it and it's kelvin rating indicates it is fairly white so should have sufficient light for photosynthesis.

I would also reiterate that a 20watt bulb is barely sufficient to keep a VFT growing. Try and put it where it can get some natural light as well.
Tony

Back