User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Green moss growing on top

busr25
    I have 4 vft's. 2 red dragons & 2 green, although I don't know which is which any more. My 'problem' is that 2 of the plants don't look as healthy as the others. I just took them out of dormancy about a month ago, and was thrilled that they were still alive. The unhealthy looking ones both have a layer of green moss growing on the top of the 'soil'. The 2 healthy plants do not have this. The unhealthy ones do, however, have new growth. These plants are much smaller, and the new traps are very very tiny.

Is there correlation between healthy plants & no moss growing, and unhealthy plants with moss growing?[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nope, the moss will not do anything. venus flytraps make small, sometimes wiry leaves and traps when they first come out of dormancy. They are perfectly healthy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of moss are you referring to? If it is moss other than sphagnum, then you actually might have some concerns.

Carpet type mosses frequently grow when there are mineral salts to exploit, and are an indicator that things might not be right in the substrate.

Personally, I would probably just repot it to be on the safe side. Alternatively you could try flushing the pot from the top with at least a pint of pure water for a few days, or leave the plant out in the rain.

Maybe I am worrying too much, but I always get suspicious when moss all of a sudden starts growing the surface.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can attest that mosses are a cause for concern, salts or no. I have just spent the last 30 mins tweezing moss out of a clump of D. spathulata that it was positively strangling. I am convinced that the moss has been killing the sundew simply through shading it out--it was growing in the clump as if the sundew were growing medium!

I'll be picking at the thing for months, probably, before I've eliminated the moss. It's all over the terrarium, too.

Steve
    I'd rather have a butterwort in front of me than a...wait, ummm...I'll come up with something...

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steveo...like you I am always tweezing moss out of pots. I just hate it. Some pots have none and some do. But I worry about the strangulation aspect too.

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Oh seriously, I can't believe everyone is overlooking this, lol! You have 2 red and 2 green? 2 look good, 2 bad? Your ill looking ones are your Red Dragons, they are more sensitive then the Green Dragon and will always look like dirt after dormancy in conparison. LOL! As to moss, you probubly just have a temperent sphagnum. They do their major growth in the winter, my pot got it's new layer over it's first winter too. If the wimpy ones are indeed the same varient then they could of been exposed to spoor while the others where not.

If the moss is not sphagnum their is something wrong with your soil, but seeing as the plants are not dead your probubly fine. But should you find you have the wrong soil, repot, otherwise don't mess with them, Red Dragons are loads pickyer then other varents and might go into shock.

As to those saying that sphagnum is bad, your right in that small plants and overwaterd plants can have issues, but normally, that moss protects the plant from a lot of nasties like fungi and water impurities. It also improves humidity, buffers pH....

So anyhow, I'm putting my bet on the wimps being the Reds.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

busr25
    I guess I forgot to mention that that I got these plants from this site, so the 'soil' should be ok. I have all four pots sitting in 2 separate trays of water. One healthy, and one not so healthy, in each tray, so I'm not so sure that overwatering is the issue, but I'm still barely a novice here. I've noticed that people mention using pure water & distilled water. I have been using well water. am I lucky that they're still alive? Or is that the clue I've been searching for?

The moss is very short. Not like a couple pictures i've seen on this site where the moss is very 'hairy'.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be the well water, but it doesn't explain why 2 of the plants are doing ok while the other 2 are not.

I agree with Darcie - the 2 that are not doing so well are the Akai Ryu's (Red Dragons). They are much slower growers and generally weaker than the Green Dragons.
    Vft Grower from the UK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast