What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smelly Plant

• Thread starter Shauntell
  • Start date
I was wondering if plants can lose their smell depending on the conditions they live in. It seems that mine might not smell or something because flies buzz near it and never even attempt to go near it. Either that or have mutant intelligent flies. Anyone know?

Yeah sorry, it's a vft. Guess I need to specify. I keep forgetting that people can't read my mind. Anybody know if they can lose their smell?

um vfts dont attract every fly that comes its way you just got to be patient and it will catch its food sooner or later.

VFTs don't smell as such, at least not to us. There should be a line of sweet tasting nectar on the edge of the traps, underneath the spines. This usually appears about a week after the trap has opened.
I've had traps where so much nectar is being produced that it drips into the centre of the trap!

maybe alvin meister is right
the traps dont naturally attract things until they are about a week old, and therefore for some people they rot because we hand feed them too early
wink.gif
THATS IT !

Well, I guess I'll just have to keep doing the catching until I can put it outside. Major squirrel problems. They all ready took out a hogan and a hens and chicks.
sad.gif

Shauntell

You have my sympathies about the squirrels...I have that problem too. They have really torn up my new microbog. I did read today that a bulb of garlic put near the base of a plant will deter them. So I'm going to give that a try.

Suzanne

Hey plantakiss I've heard that garlic also disuades bugs from going near plants. I'm not positive on that. (heard from a second hand source but I don't think it's worth the risk.) I read on the icps that the best way to get rid of squirrels is to build around them. I'm building shelving with chicken wire around it so they can't kill anymore.

Back