User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird long stem

Pacino1901

I bought my 2 Green Dragon FLytraps about 6 months ago. Thankfully, they have both thrived. Recently, I noticed a very long stem, almost a foot in length growing out of the pot, straight up in the air from the center of one of my plants. The top of this stem is splitting into 4 things. I do not know what these things are, but there are no more traps growing out of this plant. The other plant, which is in the same pot, is doing fine. WHat is growing from my baby, and what should I do about it? Please help me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want your VFT to continue to thrive; snip it off.

It is flowering and is VERY taxing on the plant. That is why it is not producing any more traps. If curiosity gets the best of you and you want to see it flower, then go ahead, but your plant may not recover, (but then again, it may)

My VFT'S are doing the same thing; it's Spring time [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't snip it off! VFTs rarely die from flowering, it will be fine. and snipping it off will do no good, after it is over 6 inches, it's already taken the energy from the plant. if you snip it off now it will not help it.
    welcome to the forums!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask the owners of this forum and they will advise you, especially if you are new to snip it off if you don't want to risk losing your plant.

If your plant is VERY robust to begin with, it may do fine;
    I myself am not a gambler.

Spektabilis 73 may be right in saying that what's done is done.

I don't throw around advice carelessly, and remember, I said it is your choice. Do a little research on this forum and you will see what I mean. Search 'flowering'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to confuse things more, Schnell maintains that cutting the stem early on can result in the formation of a new stem. He recommends waiting until the stem actually has a flower or two on it before trimming.

steveo
    I'd rather have a butterwort in front of me than a...wait, ummm...I'll come up with something...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Quote (steveo @ April 14 2003,01:52)
    Just to confuse things more, Schnell maintains that cutting the stem early on can result in the formation of a new stem. He recommends waiting until the stem actually has a flower or two on it before trimming.

steveo[/QUOTE]
    HA! That's where I read that! You see, you see, I wasn't making it up!... (sorry got beat on for mentioning that befor)

To answer the question at hand, seeing as the plant is not growing new traps, I would recomend removal of the stem at this point, if for no other reson then to be caustious about it's decline.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

I have to agree with Spectabilis73. VFTs seldom die from flowering unless they are doing poorly to begin with. It will take a lot of energy from your plant that it normally puts into growing and forming traps and roots. This will show as a slowing in the growth of the plant which may take several weeks/months from which to recover before it to resumes growing at its normal rate. If the growth in the center of your VFT is still healthy looking, then I think you might as well wait to see the flowers since your plant is so close to flowering anyhow. If your not interested in seeing the flowers or trying to get seeds to set (I would recommend waiting till next year to set seed) or the center growth doesn't look good, then cut the stalk off to rechannel nutrients back into other parts of the plant.

Now that being said, I trim my flower stalks off when they are about an inch long so that my plants will grow larger.

edited 4-12-03 @ 8:40pm
    With all respect to Mr. Scnell, I must disagree with him. I have always trimmed my flower stalks as soon as I could and seldom has the plant sent up a second stalk. On the other hand, I have let my plants flower in the spring and they have sent up a second and occasionally a third flower stalk again, later in the Summer/Fall. It is my opinion that trimming the stalks has nothing to do with a second stalk being formed but is more an indication of either the good care the plant has received or is a stress response.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Spectabilis73 @ April 13 2003,06:08)
    and snipping it off will do no good, after it is over 6 inches, it's already taken the energy from the plant. if you snip it off now it will not help it.[/QUOTE]
    I disagree with that..
    snipping the flower stalk after 6" will STILL benefit the plant..
    a LOTmore energy goes into seed production than went into just the initial "growing of the stalk"..
    so even snipping a tall stalk, that has not yet flowered, will help the plant greatly..you are still saving all that "future" energy that would have gone into flowering and seed production..
    IMO, always snip the flower stalk, no matter how tall it is..
    Scot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast