What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sunburn

i sat my vft outside yesterday and it got sunburn, i only had it out there for about an hour, is there any thing i can do???

What does it look like cause I had the same problem because I left mine out to long too.

Bye!

(Edited by Bubblegirl at 4:18 pm on May 7, 2002)

it has some burn marks ( blackish-brown dots and spots) on a couple of the traps

I believe it should recover. It may of put a kink in its growth but that is all. Just as long as it had water durning that time of need it should recover.
smile.gif
But that is only my opinion. It just need a little bit on positivity and care. But if you have questions on dormancy :confused: it is better I do not help you. :biggrin: All mine died coming out of dormancy.

hey bubble girl its me i been looking for you but you havent talked back to me i wonder why? im trying to help you

What I would probably do is bring the plants under other larger plants providing it shade.

Joe,
Are they on the mouth or the stem itself?

when the plants get sunburned, how long does it take for them to recover?

also, just because the plant got burned...does not necessarily mean that the burned part will not function again right?

what is the best way to get the plants to recover faster?

I have not seen sunburn on a VFT. Maybe it is because I grow most of them indoors or with tons on shading in the Texas Sun.

The thing that concerns me is the temperature of the soil. You really do not want the soil temp to get over 90 degrees. If that happens you take a chance on damaging the roots.

That might be the effects of what you are calling 'sunburn'

I would not recommend putting these plants out in the sun without some shading.

Indoors is one thing, but outside is something else.

The black spots and stunted growth to me says root damage and not sunburn.

The effect of root damage can take a week or longer to show.

FYI:

The soil temp will be different from the air around it. If you have it in water, or a slightly bigger pot ( 4 inches ) this will help to curve it some.

Though I would not recommend repotting in the growing season, I would wait until the winter or next spring.

Or, just as good, give it some shade
smile.gif

Back