User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: boiling hot--plants thrive!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I moved my VFTs into even sunnier, hotter conditions (direct sun 9-9, up against a south wall), and it has been quite hot and dry here (mid 90s, no rain for two weeks now) and they are doing GREAT!

What are the upper limits, temp and light-wise, for these things? Direct sun here (ohio) isn't direct sun in Texas, of course, but still, I expected that I might burn them.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when the soil temperatures start creeping into the 90's you will get root damage. THat has to be your main concern at this point... my flytraps are growing (suprising to me) in twice as much sun as I had them last year, and that is TEXAS sun mind you... they still don't get any direct light until late in the day, and I do mist them when I think about it...

but they are doing pretty well... I think they could take even more at this point...

monitor your soil temps, and you should be ok.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have had my vft's outside for weeks now. direct sun from abot 9 till 8. they seem to be doing fine, lots of new traps comming up. i just have them sitting in a dish of water.

technoracer
    barberton, ohio
    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

What's wrong with TEXAS? NEVER< EVER< MESS WITH TEXAS!!!!! It's actually been pretty nice lately, low-mid 90's, but the ozone!!!! Red alert everyday for 3 straight weeks! No CP's outdoors!!!!(for me)
    I am back..

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well then my VFTs are gonna be in trouble! lol We have been having weeks of 90-100 weather. It'll cool down to 80s for a few days and then soar back up to 95+. Not much I can do for the plants...its about as hot inside my house so nowhere for them to go. And rain? We've had none...trees are starting to die here. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] The ground is hard as a brick, gardens are dying, lakes and rivers are dropping, birds are hunting for water, the dogwoods are drooping and pine trees are turning brown, azaleas are dying. Its just awful! I wish we could have shared the TX rain so y'all wouldn't have had the floods and we wouldn't have this drought. Sometimes Mother Nature can be harsh.

I am going brokeo n distilled water...but so far the VFTs seem ok in the heat. Maybe we will get a break soon. Think "RAIN" y'all!

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome