Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good idea or bad idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Is it generally a good idea, or bad idea to cut off dead or dieing traps. Would it help so the VFT would conserve energy in not trying to make thats trap grow, or could the VFT benfit in some way from a dead or dieing trap. Thanks for the input! Also, dead/dieing traps look ugly [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]
    -~(\/)~-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I snip mine off so they don't promote mold or fungus.

The opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of the management. And the management will be happy to hear that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I let mine die before cutting them off. My theory is that the plant could be soaking up the nutrients of the leaves back into the bulb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    generally, i cut off anything that's black on my vft's. if nothing else, it just makes the plant nicer to look at.

peace,
    technoracer
    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait until they turn black. There are stored nutrients in the green leaves the plant can translocate. It is a good idea to trim the black parts to prevent mold.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i cut off anything that looks yellow and wrinkled. i don't know where i got it from (i think it was a book at my old library), but i think i heard that once the leaf is starting to die, the plant will pore resorces in saving it. of course, the leaf is gonna die no matter what, so the plant is just wasting its time. anywho, i wate till there is a little blackness on the traps because then it means its probably gonna turn all black, and like greenhouse 1 said, it promotes mold and fungus. the plant will probably not get much resorces from the dead leaf as it needs to decay a lot first. just my crazy thoughts [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif[/img] . Zongyi
    What you want to do is illeagle here in Canada.
    Email does not work! Use PM or yangzongyi@hotmail.com instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow most of my VFT very much like I do my Drosera regia. Below is a photo of one of my "odds and ends" trays for VFT plant parts -- left overs when planting/transplanting other VFT plants. I flood these trays whenever I notice that I can no longer see water on the surface of the media. This is one of those 3" deep disposable plastic food storage containers. There is a little redwood bark on the bottom, inside and then just 100% peat moss. For dormancy I just put on the lid and pop it into the refrigerator for 3 months or so. My wife once mistook one for her "lunch salad", took it to work and discovered her mistake only when she began her lunch.

Fungus schmungus, if it isn't aseptic culture then fungus and every other microorganism known to man is going to be there anyway.

Who trims these off in the "Green Swamp"?

In my conditions I notice that fungus/bacteria take care of the problem of old dying leaves, etc. quickly and naturally.

Picture = worth 1000 words.

See photo:

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! and that's your "Odds and Ends" tray?!?!?![img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast