Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Venus-flytrap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another way of asking this is. If John (hypothetical character) thought that stealing was wrong and he didn't do it his whole life so that he had lived a good life by those standards. And Joe (another character) thought that stealing was OK and did it his whole life. How can both be correct if we apply this to say Hindus and Christians. They believe totally opposite things, yet both are correct? How can this be?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Scottychaos and BiggGun you all are sooooo right on. I'm sooooo glad you are both around to contribute to the topic.

No offense Snowy Falcon but please, please, please open your eyes, The Bible is not everything, Don't believe everything you read.

I LOVE VENUS FLY TRAPS NO MATTER HOW THEY CAME TO BE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offense taken Los Angeles Traphole! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] But realize that alot of evidence lies on my side as well.

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (SnowyFalcon @ July 21 2003,5:22)
    Another way of asking this is. If John (hypothetical character) thought that stealing was wrong and he didn't do it his whole life so that he had lived a good life by those standards. And Joe (another character) thought that stealing was OK and did it his whole life. How can both be correct if we apply this to say Hindus and Christians. They believe totally opposite things, yet both are correct? How can this be?[/QUOTE]
    Ah..ok, I see what you mean now..
    Hindus and Christians dont believe "opposite" things..they believe "different" things.
    Their individual Gods (or "the one" God if it turns out they are one and the same) have given both cultures rules to live by..
    If Christians live according to their God's rules, they will be rewarded by their God..If Christians break their God's rules, they will be punished by their God..
    The same applies to Hindus..
    Hindus arent required to live by Christian rules, just as you are not required to live by Hindu rules.
    God has given each side "rules to live by", each individual person must live by those rules, or face the consequences..

As for John and Joe, If Joe thought stealing was ok, where did he get that idea? it obviously wanst from God, as no God has ever said stealing is ok..
    Society and God both disagree with Joe, both will probably punish him. unless he is mentally ill, he will probably deserve the punishment..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hindus have many many gods and Christians one. I don't see how this idea can be reconciled into 'rules of the culture'? Is there one God or many little gods. These are totally foreign things. How can one God with one nature have many different sets of rules? He is either one or many, not both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only one God is capable of making rules?
    why cant many Gods make rules together??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote (scottychaos @ July 21 2003,3:40)
    only one God is capable of making rules?
    why cant many Gods make rules together??[/QUOTE]
    becuase there is only one God.

Oh, and I read literal history too! actually, the word history is biblical. His-story! (His is referring to God)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The enforced exclusivity of any religion is it's downfall. It is hard to effectively communicate with people who claim an exclusivity on the truth. It is also hard to live peacefully with people who believe you are condemned to #### based on your beliefs. There is nothing wrong with scientific inquiry, open discussion, and constant re-evaluation of one's beliefs. Information and communication are always good.

I am of the belief that we don't know the ultimate truths. I am an atheist, but live mostly by Judeo-Christian ethics. The most important one, according to Jesus, is to love your neighbor as you do yourself, and it strikes me as good enough logically to live by. I won't tell my Christian friends they are wrong, or that they are condemned to ####. I would hope they wouldn't do the same for me, but I understand when they do (and they do&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Look at what's going on in the middle east, where open communication and acceptance of divergent ideas are frowned upon. Is that how we want to be?

It's OK for me to be an atheist and SF and Spec (among others) to be Christians. We can co-exist in an atmosphere of mutual respect (in fact, we can only co-exist in that atmosphere.) These are always touchy subjects, and it's easy to think the other side are morons. (They almost never really are.) As long as we realize we are on the same side, and keep reminding ourselved of that, we can have these discussions without acrimony.

This is the triumph of the great American experiment. People of ALL different stripes cooperating to build a society where we ALL are free to practice our beliefs. It's a radical idea, almost unheard of in history. But history is rife with examples of religious (or non-religious in the case of some communist states) arrogance causing conflict and hatred among peoples. We are better than that!

Oh, and VFTs are cool no matter how they came to be!

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

9. Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast