Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Venus-flytrap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks scotty... i'll attribute it to my father, although he surely found it elsewhere.
    ...No snowflake ever lands in the wrong place...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Snowy Falcon,
    Both you and I are born again Christians and share the same faith with our lord through Jesus Christ.

There are problems with both evolution and also for recent creationism. I would recommend reading a book entitled 'Creation vs evolution, the facts and the fallacies' by Alan Hayward 1985.

The Genesis account is a poem to remeber the Sabbath. This is one of the most multi layered books in the Bible. It rhyms in its original language and contyains structure of how God put into order through poetry of how the world came to be.. It is NOT a scientific document..

With the flood and fossils, plate tectonics etc.. the flood was an account that originated fro Babylonian texts and the origins of that came from the world wide rise in sea levels at the end of the last ice age.. Sea levels rose by 80m. A sudden flooding of low level land would have wiped out a huge proportion of man kind. Imagine what an 80m rise in sea level would be like say to a New Yorker..

I would suggest read the book, it explains a view of ancient creationism and an old earth....
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a few thoughts...

Wes, I'm not understanding what you mean... I personally am certainly not saying that biblical creation is a metaphor for evolution. I'm saying that *some* people do, and they feel just find blending the two together.

Also, I agree with Tamlin--kudos to everyone for keeping their cool! That hardly ever happens! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

I think I'm done posting in the thread as I've said all I really wanted to say (people can PM me, of course), but I encourage everyone to delve into this issue. It's very rewarding and fascinating. The complex relationship between science and religion and the controversies involved really never "get old" (in my opinion). There's just a lot of exciting debate.

For anyone that wants to think more about this, I'll recommend a starting website:

Talk Origins

Cheers,

Jake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, just as a sidenote:

Though I'm not Christian, I wager most people who've contributed to this thread are. Since I've talked about how a lot of Christians combine evolutionary theory and their religion, this FAQ is quite good about the issue:

Combining Christianity & Evolution

Kudos,

Jake

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. Anywho, For those who do say that the "week" took millions of years. There is a flaw in that. Now to reproduce a plant needs to make "food" for itself and food for makking seed. This is obtained through photosynthisis. To photosynithisize the plant needs sun light. On the "third day"(three million years) plants that bear seed were created. On the "fourth day"(one million years after plants were created) "And God said, 'Let there be lights in the expanse of sky to seperate the day from night...' Genesis 1:14a, "God made two great lights- the greater light to govern the day"(the sun)"and the lesser night to govern the night."(the moon)"He also made the stars." Genesis 1:16. There is no possible way for a plant to survive a million years without sun light.

respectfully [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] ,
    Wes
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Wesley @ July 23 2003,8:13)There is no possible way for a plant to survive a million years without sun light.

respectfully [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] ,
    Wes
    Wes,
    you are applying the "biblical rules" to those who dont believe in the Bible!
    If one believes the entire "week" is metaphorically really millions of years, one does not have to believe the sun "switched on" at the 4 million year mark..or whenever.
    that would be taking Genesis literally, which we are not doing..
    therefore we dont have to take the "let there be light" timeline literally either..

the solution to the photosythhesis problem is amazingly simple.
    The sun has existed as long as the Earth.
    when the first life appeared on Earth, sunlight was already there.
    problem solved.
    Scot
    Last edited by Not a Number; 02-03-2016 at 02:37 PM. Reason: fix format

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

The Bible has always confused me [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img] ? How can one day plants be created next day this and that get created? God may have created life but I think life started out as single-celled organisims. Through time single celled organisisms developed into more complicated life forms...I am the kind of person that needs proof and through many years things may have been lost through translation. Although I do believe in God, I think he created everyone to be different even if people have different beliefs on how things where created.

My other BIG questions is why do so many people fight/kill over different beliefs? I do not think that was God's purpose (in know way do I speak for God) to see people fight and kill others.

Even though I am a Christian I love going to different churches and meeting new people. I also have endless discussions with freinds on religion and evolution which I think is great. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] I just have to many questions...As my grandma says "One day at a time, dear sweet Jesus!". [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

This is one BIG topic!

Travis
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought. But if you consider God created everything then you can also say that God created time and thus controlled it at his will. That being he could very well have the span of millions of years in one day and the span of two minutes in another (kind of like watching a video of a plant blossoming recorded in time elapse so you can watch it grow bloom and die in the span of 30 seconds, or slow motion video...) Thus you can have millions of years occur in the span of a week. Time wouldn't have to be linear for the one that creates the universe.