Thread: Venus-flytrap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (buckeye @ July 17 2003,9:44)
    [/QUOTE]
    HI All,

I think Natural Selection says that only the "fittest" survive which is not the same as the "strongest" at all. The idea that Natural Selection says the "strongest" survive is the result of the warped ideas of SOCIAL Darwinism, a non-scientific sociological theory the British (and even people today) used to pseudo-scientifically justify their brutal, greedy and racist Empire.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hi All,

I think one of the things that is missing from this debate is genetics. Modern Evolutionary studies are in so many ways bio-chemical genetic studies. The old Darwin vs Christ (God) paradigm has long since given way to much more finely tuned and specific inquiries. Evolution can never be understood from looking backwards at a series of species "results". It is being understood from its building blocks (genetics) up. If one wishes to view a SUPER-natural god as the "creator" of life and as evolution as the machine that god built to run life on earth -- great. If one wishes to view life as a purely NATURAL process that we are only now barely able to begin grasping -- great. Ultimately, It is unimportant WHO or WHAT gets credit for the inception. What is important is that we understand how nature functions. Does creationism provide us with an ongoing question and answer process as to how nature functions? No. It provides a seducive, absolutist and supernaturally poetic -- all questions can stop -- ANSWER that can never be proven or even investigated as it is pure belief -- and rightly so. Does Evolution provide us with a question and answer process that can be investigated as to how nature functions? Yes. By its very nature Evoltion is an ongoing question and by tapping into the deepest and most meaningful reality of humanity -- our ability to question (Adam myth in Genesis) -- it has provided us with ever increasing fruit year after year: knowledge. Ultimately, the choice is not between Darwin and Christ (God) but between belief as a basis for knowing or science as a basis of knowing. I choose science as I want to know when dealing with the natural world. I choose belief when I wish to confront the mystery of conscious life -- our "humanity". To me, they are separate systems and both suffer immeasurable harm (not to mention the harm we suffer) when these unrelated systems of knowing are falsely forced together like opposing teams in some cosmic football game.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question for Snowy Falcon,

lets say you live in Ft. Lauderdale, and you get in your car, and get on I-95 and start driving south towards Miami.

Savanna Georgia is 466 miles behind you on I-95.
    as you are driving south towards Miama, were you in Savanna Georgia 7 hours ago?

if yes, why.
    and if no, why not?

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, of course not. You started in Fort Lauderdale and head south, Savanna is north.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does creationism provide us with an ongoing question and answer process as to how nature functions? No. It provides a seducive, absolutist and supernaturally poetic -- all questions can stop -- ANSWER that can never be proven or even investigated [/QUOTE] Really??
    absolutist[/QUOTE] Yes, I do believe in absolutes, but so do you and every other person in this whole world.
    supernaturally poetic[/QUOTE] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img] I'm sorry that you see the Bible as a poetic book. Sure there are Psalms and praises to God, but the whole thing is history.
    all questions can stop[/QUOTE] Really . So I can always have an answer to every question (even on those math tests [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] )
    ANSWER that can never be proven or even investigated[/QUOTE] So I can never prove that God exists? The whole world cries out that there is a Creator. How can something as intricate as the human eye be created by chance?

Respectfully,
    SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (SnowyFalcon @ July 20 2003,7:11)
    No, of course not. You started in Fort Lauderdale and head south, Savanna is north.[/QUOTE]
    Exactly,
    you just proved why your moon and Sun arguements are invalid.
    You were never in Savannah to begin with.
    So starting nowhere NEAR Savannah means you cant interpolate backwards and arrive at the conclusion that you WERE in Savannah 7 hours ago simply because you are traveling away from it right now..

The moon was never next to the Earth to begin with,
    The Sun was never next to the Earth to begin with..

well that was easy! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img][img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    2 myths down, 98 to go..

(the remaining 98 are just as easy..)

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is some reading on the Human eye..

http://www.2think.org/eye.shtml

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/vision.html

http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~lindsay/creation/eye.html

and here is a creationist view on why the human eye disproves evolution..

http://www.revelationwebsite.co.uk/index1/menton/b2.htm

read it carefully and note he gives NO actual evidence to support his viewpoint!! none whatsoever..
    his arguement is basically "the eye could not evolve by chance, because I say so"
    also a lot of irrelevant drivel that has noting to do with the eye at all, like his meaningless scrabble excercise..

hardly convincing science..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suprisingly lucid analysis from biggun110. I can't say I have much more to add than what he has already written.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

9. Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast