Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Venus-flytrap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is something I have always wondered about religion..
    take the ancient Greeks (please)
    they had a whole army of Gods and Goddesses.
    Zeus, Apollo, Athena, etc..
    the greeks were the most advanced civilization of their time, the most advanced civilization EVER at that time!
    to them, their Gods and Godesses were REAL! they were TRUE! no one even doubted it! HUGE temples were built to make then happy! it was all totally factual to them, no doubts at all..
    Now suppose the Greeks see something happen that they cant explain..they see this big bright thing rise in the East every morning and set in the West every evening..
    what is that thing? we dont know..WAIT! it must be Apollo in his golden chariot!! yeah! thats it! He gets in his Golden chariot and rides it across the sky each day!!
    *whew*! problem solved! now we KNOW what it is!!
    and its the TRUTH!!!! really! we swear! (and you will die if you doubt it)

So flash-forward to today..ask any person in the world today "Is the Sun REALLY Apollo in his golden chariot?"
    anyone would say "No! of course not! we know better today,
    The sun is a mass of incandescent gas
    A gigantic nuclear furnace
    Where Hydrogen is built into Helium
    At a temperature of millions of degrees
    (TMBG)
    Those Greeks were just ignorant, they didnt know about astronomy and the true nature of the universe..they just made up all those Gods and applied them to natural phenomonea because they hadent learned the truth yet"

hmmmm..So we have no problem doubting the ancient Greeks and their entire religion..we can dismiss it easily as mere MYTH..but in the same breath we CAN say OUR religion is true??

we know NO better than the ancient greeks did..
    they were guessing..we are guessing.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Spectabilis73 @ July 21 2003,1:53)
    you are right about that! Hence it is called religion. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] I guess the only way to truely prove it right is when you die and see for yourself. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img][/QUOTE]
    I TOTALLY agree!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

here is another theory about religion I have..could be true, might not be..but it makes sense to me, and I believe God would like this idea..

suppose ALL religions ARE true??
    suppose the sweet old grandmother dies, She has loved and worshipped Jesus Christ all her life, she has lived a fine Christian life, She believes when she dies she will BE with Jesus in heaven for all eternity..
    well....she SHOULD be!! She earned it! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Her version of heaven CAN work out exactly the way she expects it will..because God can easily give her that..

suppose also that a good Hindu dies..He has believed all his life that when he dies we will be blessed to be reincarnated and come back at a higher level if he led a good life..
    so he CAN come back! and keep on going up levels in various reincarnations until he reaches perfection!!
    God can give him that..

suppose a good Viking died 1,000 years ago..he believes that he will go to Valhalla and live with Odin..well, He is still there today! whooping it up in viking heaven!

Native Americans who died thousands of years ago are still with their Great Spirit.

dead wiccans are with their Goddess..

all the dead pharaohs went to be with Ra when they died, they are still there..the Christian God concept hadnt been invented yet when they were alive..God had a different form to them way back then..their God was the Sun, Ra.
    was God wrong back then?
    Did he lie to the ancient Egyptians about his nature?
    I doubt it..

perhaps ALL those various Gods are simply different versions and variations of the ONE real God??
    who is to say God has to have only one form??
    who is say only the "christian God" is the only real God?
    who says God cant do whatever he feels like doing??
    or be whatever he feels like being?
    anyone who ever says "there is only one true religion, and its MY religion" is insulting God! they are making God small..forcing him into only one tiny box, forcing him to BE only one particular concept!! who are we to impose those rules on God? telling him He can only be ONE thing and nothing else??
    He laughs at us all!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... You dont earn your way into heaven! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]
    "The Christian God concept hadnt been invented yet when they were alive"
    He wasn't 'invented'. he's been there for eternity, and will be here for eternity [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didnt say "God wasnt invented yet"
    I said one particular concept, or idea, of God hadnt been invented yet..
    its true that Christianity didnt exist before 2,000 years ago..
    so anyone living before that time could not have been a Christian even if they wanted to..
    but there was still a God before Christianity existed right?
    therefore, if anyone alive before 2,000 years ago wished to "know God" they could not have known him in your Christian sense..they must have known him in a different form..
    Ra, Odin, Zeus, "Great Spirit" etc..
    my point is that there ARE different intrepretations of God, there have been throughout history and there still are today..
    any are just as valid as any other.
    "your" Christian God might be the same God all those other people throughout history worshipped..they just knew him in a different way than you do..
    thats not their fault, God revealed himself to them in a different way..They got to know God as best they could, just as you do now...
    Do you mean to say they didnt really know God if they werent Christians??
    if so, how do you know they didnt?
    isnt that between them and God alone?

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I just have to reply, because I just studied the Greek/Roman worldview. The Greek's gods just didn't cut it because they were man-made creations. They based there morality and ethics on the gods, which were actually just super humans. There gods had passions like humans, fought among each other, lied, deceived, double crossed and basically set the standard for corruption rather than righteousness. The Greek civilization fell apart from the inside out as their morals and standards were corrupted. So when the Romans took the Greek gods into their system and adopted them as their own, guess what happened? They fell apart from the inside out, and the whole civilization split.

On to the next point. Besides Jesus Christ saying, "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." I guarantee you the Hindus don't believe that Christ ascended from the dead and payed for their sins.

Are you saying that everybody goes to heaven? Even murderers, dictators, and other scum? Are you willing to go to the same place as Hitler or Stalin?

These religions have existed for hundreds of years, but only one has stood the test of time. Christianity. Evolution has only been around for 200 years, 1/300th of what Christianity has. If Christianity has yet to be proven wrong, why side with the theories that rise and fall as the Greek gods and goddesses?

isnt that between them and God alone?
    [/QUOTE] You bet it is. You're betting your whole soul on it.

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They got to know God as best they could[/QUOTE]
    What if their best effort is not enough? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

Did he lie to the ancient Egyptians about his nature?
    [/QUOTE]
    Maybe it wasn't God that lied to the Egyptians and got them to worship false gods. For all you know, the driving force behind those gods could be demons!!

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its true that Christianity didnt exist before 2,000 years ago..
    so anyone living before that time could not have been a Christian even if they wanted to..[/QUOTE]

People before Christ were saved by believing in the future occurence of His payment for our sins, just as we are saved by looking backwards at them. So Christianity did exist before 2000 years ago, look at Abraham for example!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you saying that everybody goes to heaven? Even murderers, dictators, and other scum? Are you willing to go to the same place as Hitler or Stalin?[/QUOTE]

not at all! im saying that if GOOD vikings, hindus, wiccans, ancient Egyptians, etc, lived good lives and did what their God considered rightious, then they would be rewarded by going to their particular version of heaven.
    All major religions that I know of, past or present, had concequences for NOT living a good and moral life..
    No religion that I know of has ever said that "murderers, dictators, and other scum" will go to heaven..
    thats not the point of my posts at all..

These religions have existed for hundreds of years, but only one has stood the test of time. Christianity[/QUOTE]

oh come on, you know better than that!
    Islam is just as old as Christianity.
    Judiasm, Hinduism and Bhuddism are older.
    all religions are still going strong!
    how can you possibly say "only one" has stood the test of time?? that makes no sense.

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast