What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

APHIDS

The aphids are eating away at my plants. How can i get rid of them? i am from the UK.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

As well as aphids i have also seen these see-through wormy-gruby things that are about 1.5cm long. What are these?

I had Aphids not to long ago on my pitcher plant. I used ORTHO Orthene. Two Tablespoons per gallon and then I would spray the plant about 3 times a day.

For the grubs they sound like maggets. I would use the same stuff as I did for the aphids. But I am not as sure as I have not had that problem before with grubs.

Hope that helps,
Trav

Yeah, ORTHO's Orthene is pretty cool because its systemic. It rids my plants of all pests so far. I give them all a few drops every month, that seems to do the trick.

I've had exactly the same problem.
The clear worms are fungus gnat larvae and can cause damage to the roots of smaller plants.
Go to Homebase and get an insecticide containing bifenthrin. I use Polysect with no problems - it's in a big green bottle. Spray the plant and the soil.

(Edited by Alvin Meister at 11:46 am on April 12, 2002)

thanks for all of the replys
smile.gif

I am going to buy some pesticide containing bifenthrin tommorow to cure my pest problem.

Tom

Otherwise get a terrestrial Utric for the larva and squish the aphids by hand, I have 50 or 60 plants and have not had to resort to chemicals yet, although if my arch nemisis (root mealys) should raise its head I would not rule the possibility out.

I thought that the tiny stringy grubby things were nematodes. They looke like the ones in dirt...

Back