Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flytrap and sundew condition?

Jeff Hasenflu 623N.Schenley Ave.Youngstown,Oh44509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

i have had my flytraps and sundew for over a year and in the past couple of weeks they are not looking so good? the flytraps just had a bunch of flowers which i cut off the stalks- acouple of traps look burnt? most of the leaves and traps look yellow? my sundew looks the same way and has alot of die off? they never did die off in the winter,they grew very well. but lately both plants look bad- i have done nothing different. only thing i changed like a month ago was i used some snow i let melt into a bucket and have been using that to water them. need help thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't help but question that snow. Are you sure it was clean? Did your VFT have a dormancy this winter? Which species of Drosera are you growing, and what are the general conditions they are in (light, water method, humidity, temperature). I would like to help, but we need to get more specific, there are many things that could cause the symptoms you describe.

I am suspicious because this is affecting the health of both genera, and seems to indicate some cultural problem apart from dormancy considerations (or else you are just really unlucky&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, what was in the bucket that you used to gather the snow in? Some times we forget that the soap and other chemicals we had in the bucket the last time we used it could have an effect. Trust me on this, I made this mistake with a fish tank ONCE!! (Poor Fish)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey guys- ok- well i got the frsh snow out of my yard of the top layers and it was clean- yes i made sure the bucket was clean i put the snow in. neither plant went dormant for the winter,i just keep watering them and put them on the window seal. my room stays warm with all my saltwater fish tanks/there lights. like a said the flytrap had a bunch of flower stalks i let them bloom then thought they are draining the plant so i cut all off them off. should i get rid of the water and boil some water and try using that? i was using distilled water before.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the flowers bloomed then the plant has already been drained. With the vft, it sounds like the stress that the flowers caused and the lack of dormancy is taking it's toll.
    What kind of sundew is it. Can't really help until we know. Listen to Tamlin he's a genius when it comes to sundews.
    One thing I would try is to go back to the distilled water and see what happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes i put distilled into there dish- yeah i thought the flowers might have drained it to. yes during the past couple months of winter both plants grew like mad-which suprised me? i bought the sundew from this board so i have no clue what type it is? its a small plant...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is a spatulua sundew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my guess is also that are dying from lack of dormancy this winter..
    why didnt you let them go dormant?

scot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast