What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad Day, maybe good bye to my first VFT

I first got into flytraps a few months ago. I had always wanted one and one day while I was walking through home depot I spotted some vfts. I decided to pick the smallest one. The traps were only about quarter of an inch and there were about 5 traps. I watched it grow and enjoyed every moment of it. From 5 traps to 10 from 10 to 15 and from 15 to 20. From 1/4 inch traps to 3/4 inch traps.

2 weeks ago while closing my window to turn the AC on I knocked the plant over and it had fall between shelves. Now picture this. The pot was too big to fall in but the plant wasnt. It fell through a very tight spot and it was squished into one side. Imagine a mohawk being pushed to one side, thats how the vft looked. The fall was bad but it wasn't fatal. I had abotu 25 traps on the plant at the time and now 5 of them turned black. I have done this before, dropping the plant that is, but never this bad. It usually jsut falls to the floor and a few traps just close. This time, 90% of the traps closed.

Today, I did the same #### thing again(drop between shelves) but this time my red dragon went along with it. I don't care about the red dragon though, it looks like any other red dragon. What is bugging me is that the home depot plant is special. I rarely see a sinle VFT with so many traps and add to the fact it was my first plant. I can't even count the # of traps, but im guessing its 25+. I've asked and people say its rare. This time most of the traps closed again and I don't think it can take another fall. I don't get enough light in the first place to keep a healthy vft.

What im asking now is it worth taking a picture. I wish I would of taken one sooner when it has actually 25+ healthy traps without a single black one. Now theres about 5 dead traps. Is there some place like kinkos where I can get my hands on a digital camera? I want a pic of this incase it goes.

BTW, for those that want to repot, repotting cant be that hard. These things fall right out of the pot, all you gota do is hold the dirt and tip it upside down.

wow cool vft well I think if maybee you werent so clumsy j/k
um If u wish to take a picture u may but your plant should bee fine just try too be carefull about what your doing around the plant

hey were do you live that you cant give it enoph light

Don't worry. Cut off any bits that go black. VFTs can survive hurricanes and all sorts, it just might look a bit injured for the rest of the season. You might be better moving them though to somewhere better.

Yeah...don't count the plant out. The are actually rather hardy. I have a VFT in my microbog that has been torn up and chewed up more times than I can count...down to nothing but a few pieces of leaves. And yet the poor little thing has put out a new leaf/trap and another one is on the way. It looks like #### but its still growing! Maybe you'll lose some leaves/traps but it will come back. It sounds like a nice plant.

But it is depressing when you see a nice plant get damaged...know the feeling. **hug for sativa** Like Alvin said, you might want to find them a new location where they can't fall.

Suzanne

LOL!
smile.gif
tounge.gif
sounds like your crammed in your house! If you dont have enuf room to move around without hitting them off! LOL!
wink.gif
Theyll be fine need no worry dude!
mad.gif
sad.gif
confused.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
tounge.gif

OK, I found a 20 dollar digital camera and I took some pics.  Here you go.  Someone try to count the traps, I dont have enough patience.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tecknics12/1.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/~tecknics12/15.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~tecknics12/14.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~tecknics12/9.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~tecknics12/8.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~tecknics12/16.jpg

Look at my green dragon bulbs from here.  Its been 2 months and not a sprout, im still hoping though.

My legendary four leaf clover refuses to grow four leaf clovers.

a 20 dollar digital camera?!?!

i know its a little off topic....but where did you get it???

I got it at macys..it was 50 bucks but they had one already opened and the manager cut a deal for 25 bucks.

My legendary four leaf clover is doing great! It was looking a little piqued so I repotted it and put it outdoors in the sun. Its now got lots of new growth including a SIX leaf clover!! Maybe yours needs to be repotted?

Suzanne

All the pics are out of focus and very difficult to see. Try not to take the picture so close.

Picture 9,8, & 16 of your 25+ trap VFT shows that there are possibly more than one VFT in your pot by the fact that there seems to be at least 2-3 centers where the traps are attached.

Maybe I'm wrong...but that seems to be the case, being the pictures are so burred.

Yeah, I bet come dormancy and splitting up time you'll have a couple of plants. I counted 26, but could be wrong because they are blurry. It looks pretty healthy to me.

hmm maybe it could be different growth points. Reason I dont think it is, is because it was from a real tiny plant straight from a 18 month old tissue culture. I didn't think it would divide that fast in 3 months. How can you tell if its acutally different growth points? They all center down to one area.

Sativa, from your description, you are indeed dealing with one growth point...

Some times in tissue culture (as I understand it) plants may start dividing, then are taken out of culture, and they continue the division at a much slower rate, which would account for the rapid production of multiple growing points IF it was what you were dealing with... if all the leaves attach at the same point, you got yourself one whopper of a growth point!

Also, you might try watering it with superthrive once, this helps the roots recover. ANd perhaps putting some no-slip matting under the pot so it won't slide around easily?

To a couple of you, you know who you are... what's the deal poking fun? It's not a funny situation. I have messaged you in private about this.

Don't sweat it! We've all made our mistakes... That is still a darn nice plant!!!! Good luck! and keep at 'em!
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

I notice my cam zoomed the background fine without the blurr. I took it so close so it can better show the leaves. I'll try and take one from far tonight.

Back