Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many vft's are there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

yes. In fact, I already have images of most, although they are not my own at this time. I plan to do botanical watercolors for them all eventually, but that will take a while (oviously)

...wanders off to do a little more work on the cultivar pages of new vft superguide webpage
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

I've recently completed a webpage listing the significant mutant flytraps. In addition, I've included a short description and discussion of each form. Many of the forms are cultivars but, some are still informally named. Soon, I intend to formally register all those lacking, unless someone beats me to it. This list is quite complete of the "noteworthy" forms/mutations. Although, someone recently informed me of another form that I neglected.
    Plants like most of Dingley's forms are variants of "typical" flytraps and I haven't made specific distinctions. As for the "giant" forms, I haven't made a separate distinction for each one either. Unless they get formally named, these don't need specific distinction( in my opinion). They are all variants of the "typical" form.
    imduff

http://hometown.aol.com/lulibybb/vftm.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goldtrap,

Try this link, they have a few more for ya.
    VFT Variant Info
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Thanks Stefan for that page, there is so much great information there, very interesting reading. It was good to learn where all the variations came from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are photo links numerous VFT variants at
    http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Dionaea.html

-Bob-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Don't forget, befor we register these plants, we should really know how they flower. The flower is a big place for mutation and if a varent is registerd without it's flower type being noted their could be conflicts later.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an interesting point, Darcie. However, most of the VFT variants are based on the morphology of the trap or sometimes petiole. I am not aware of any described changes in VFT flower morphology. Now a red, yellow, or blue flowered VFT would be a find. Perhaps a red-white-and-blue flowered variety could be called Dubya-flag-waver or pox-Americana.

-Bob-

Quote (Darcie @ Mar. 23 2003,9:54)
    Don't forget, befor we register these plants, we should really know how they flower. The flower is a big place for mutation and if a varent is registerd without it's flower type being noted their could be conflicts later.[/QUOTE]
    Unless specifically noted in the description of the cultivar, descriptions of characteristics that are consistent with the "typical" form don't need to be repeated. To my knowledge, I can only think of one "variant" flower amongst the mentioned mutant flytraps.

imduff

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast