What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i know I've been asking this question over and over again but I just want to know , if any body wants to add or have a coment on my vft list pelase tell me .Albino
All Green
All Red
Akai Ryu - Red Dragon
Atlanta
Bart Simpson
Blood Red Traps
Bear Traps
Bigmouth
Big Traps
Burbanks Best
Chunky
Clam
Clamshell
Claytons Volcanic red
Creeping Death
Cotton Mouth
Crossed Teeth
Cupped
Dentata
Dente
Dingleys Giant
Dingleys Red Giant
Dutch
Fang
Fast
Filformis
Fine Tooth x Red
Fused Tooth
Gezzckt
Giant
Green Dragon
Jaws
Low Giant
Low Round
Paradisia
Pink Venus
Pompom
Prostrate
Red Jaws
Red Pirhana
Red- Purple
Red Rossetted
Red Sunset
Regal Red
Royal Red
Red Variety
Sawtooth
Sharks Teeth
Slack's Giant
South West Giant
Triffid Traps
Typical
Variegated
Vigorous
Wacky Trapss
Yellow
Dente
Dingley Red Giant
Dutch
Fang
Fast
Filiformis
Fine Tooth X Red
Fused Teeth
Gezackt
Giant
Green Dragon
Jaws
Low Giant
Low Round
Paradisia
Pink Venus
Pompom
Prostrate
Red Jaws, Red Band And Teeth
Red Piranha
Red-Purple
Red Rossetted
Red Sunset
Regal Red
Royal Red (PBR.No.464).
Sawtooth
Sharks Teeth
South West Giant
Triffid Traps
Typical
Variegated
Vigorous
Wacky Traps
Yellow

Hi Goldtrap. I know of 2 others:Dirk Ventham's giant aka G14(originally grown by Adrian Slack),and G16 aka Slack's giant(again originally grown by Adrian Slack) I guess you can tell I'm very interested in large forms of VFT. I have a question. What are the differences between the Dingley giants and the Dingley red giants on your growlist? If anyone else can help it would be very appreciated. Thanks. ooops, I noticed you already have Slack's giant listed.

I didn't realize they're that many types of VFTs out there.  That's an impresive list, although you might want to edit the following duplications:
Dente
Dingleys Giant
Dingley Red Giant
Dingleys Red Giant
Dutch
Fang
Fast
Filiformis
Filformis
Fine Tooth X Red
Fine Tooth x Red
Fused Teeth
Fused Tooth
Gezackt
Gezzckt
Giant
Green Dragon
Jaws
Low Giant
Low Round
Paradisia
Pink Venus
Pompom
Prostrate
Red Jaws
Red Jaws, Red Band And Teeth
Red Pirhana
Red Piranha
Red- Purple
Red-Purple
Red Rossetted
Red Sunset
Regal Red
Royal Red
Royal Red (PBR.No.464).
Red Variety
Sawtooth
Sharks Teeth
Slack's Giant
South West Giant
Triffid Traps
Typical
Variegated
Vigorous
Wacky Trapss
Wacky Traps
Yellow

I removed any duplicates from this list that had the same spelling.  Where there are 2 of something on this list, the difference is in the spelling.

All in all a good listing of VFT varieties.

Triffid traps?? "Attack of the Triffids" odd.....

Most of these names have 2 things in common.  The first is that most of them are not legitimate names and do not have ICBN approval.  The second is that no one really knows for certain what these unregistered names refer to since there is no  centralized photo reference that has been attached with the name.  Nicknames are unavoidable, but now that there is a registry service they should be registered so that we can begin to discuss these plants and know for certain what we are referring to.

Well, their are a good number not on your list, and a lot on your list that are multipull names for the same plant. I don't list every growers name for their cultivar seporetly, so I can't help out much their. If you clean the list up a bit to get rid of duplicates, I might be able to see some specific groups you missed. Oh, and off the top of my head, you missed White and Southwestern Giant

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Mar. 16 2003,9:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Most of these names have 2 things in common.  The first is that most of them are not legitimate names and do not have ICBN approval.  The second is that no one really knows for certain what these unregistered names refer to since there is no  centralized photo reference that has been attached with the name.  Nicknames are unavoidable, but now that there is a registry service they should be registered so that we can begin to discuss these plants and know for certain what we are referring to.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Been working on it Tamlin
wink.gif
I'll have a website that goes over them in detail soon (it's taking a long time to weed through everything), and I'm looking into getting these things registerd officially

Darcie that sounds like a very good idea. I think it's very needed too. I have never seen pics of some of these, will you have pics too?

yes.  In fact, I already have images of most, although they are not my own at this time.  I plan to do botanical watercolors for them all eventually, but that will take a while (oviously)

...wanders off to do a little more work on the cultivar pages of new vft superguide webpage

I've recently completed a webpage listing the significant mutant flytraps. In addition, I've included a short description and discussion of each form. Many of the forms are cultivars but, some are still informally named. Soon, I intend to formally register all those lacking, unless someone beats me to it. This list is quite complete of the "noteworthy" forms/mutations. Although, someone recently informed me of another form that I neglected.
Plants like most of Dingley's forms are variants of "typical" flytraps and I haven't made specific distinctions. As for the "giant" forms, I haven't made a separate distinction for each one either. Unless they get formally named, these don't need specific distinction( in my opinion). They are all variants of the "typical" form.
imduff

http://hometown.aol.com/lulibybb/vftm.html

Thanks Stefan for that page, there is so much great information there, very interesting reading. It was good to learn where all the variations came from.

Don't forget, befor we register these plants, we should really know how they flower. The flower is a big place for mutation and if a varent is registerd without it's flower type being noted their could be conflicts later.

That is an interesting point, Darcie. However, most of the VFT variants are based on the morphology of the trap or sometimes petiole. I am not aware of any described changes in VFT flower morphology. Now a red, yellow, or blue flowered VFT would be a find. Perhaps a red-white-and-blue flowered variety could be called Dubya-flag-waver or pox-Americana.

-Bob-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Darcie @ Mar. 23 2003,9:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don't forget, befor we register these plants, we should really know how they flower.  The flower is a big place for mutation and if a varent is registerd without it's flower type being noted their could be conflicts later.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Unless specifically noted in the description of the cultivar, descriptions of characteristics that are consistent with the "typical" form don't need to be repeated. To my knowledge, I can only think of one "variant" flower amongst the mentioned mutant flytraps.

imduff

OK. imduff, I will bite: which of the mutant VFTs has a 'variant' flower. Do you have a photo of the flower?

wink.gif
Is the suspense killing you?
The "Bart Simpson" flower is very different. First, the petals are more lanceolate. And more significantly, the sigma is reduced or absent.
imduff

Back