Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightning bugs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that fireflies generate light through some kind of chemical reaction, but are the chemicals in that reaction hazardous to a VFT? They're extremely easy to catch and control, making them great live food. Yeah, I know I'm going to get yelled at by at least one person for hurting the poor defenseless cute little fireflies. But, hey, they're bugs...I hate bugs. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Here's a somewhat related question. I repotted my VFTs into my terrarium 3 days ago when they arrived from PFT. The Dente is doing okay but the common looks a bit under the weather as its repotting experience was a bit traumatic. I'd like to help it get well. Would feeding it give it the nutrients it needs to rebound or would that take more energy than it's worth?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just got an idea
    i dont know if it will be harful to a plant
    but take a few of those bugs and squish them and put them on the vft for glow in the dark vfts [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    I love nepenthes

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Nicholas_Bostaph @ July 12 2003,03:17)
    Here's a somewhat related question. I repotted my VFTs into my terrarium 3 days ago when they arrived from PFT. The Dente is doing okay but the common looks a bit under the weather as its repotting experience was a bit traumatic. I'd like to help it get well. Would feeding it give it the nutrients it needs to rebound or would that take more energy than it's worth?[/QUOTE]
    Best bet is to give it lots of light and let it be. I know the temptation is strong to "play" with your new toy, but if you want the plant to have the best success its better not to fiddle too much too fast. Your soil is prolly still a lil too wet and that could be contributing to the poor look of the plant right now. Give it a couple weeks of good light and keep tabs on how much water you give it.. I suspect that in a couple days as the standing water in the bowl is absorbed and evaporates you will start to see improvement. Its possible that all the existing leaves will die and the plant will start again. Keep an eye on it and you should start to see new growth from the center of the plant. At that point if the plant is looking a lil stronger and you have open traps then try to feed it and it should be fine.
    Good luck
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did we ever conclude whether or not the firefly's glow stuffs is toxic to the VFT? (Too side thoughts on that though, I'm picturing one in a closed trap and the trap blinking. Also blue dye in the water of carnations making the carnation blue, the chemicals of the firefly making the whole flytrap glow in the dark.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm fairly sure fireflies should be perfectly safe for any of your cps. There's nothing dangerous or unusual within the body of these insects, it's just an amazing natural phenomena. In a nutshell, fireflies have things called lantern cells. These contain compartments with lots of luceriferin and luciferase, which are just proteins with a very cool ability. When they are exposed to oxygen they are able to luminesce, or light up. The chemicals and molecules in this reaction are made up of the same building blocks as found in the components of your plants, so the plant will just break down the firefly like any other bug. Have fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coo, Thank you. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] If my plant isn't too full I've got to try it to see if you can see it glow through the trap. (On the other hand though, isn't their glow like a mating call? I don't imagine if I were a firefly and something were eating me that i would be too concerned with mating at that time.) Only one way to find out I guess, now that I know it isn't toxic to my trap, (because I only got the one VFT so far...)

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kept toads when I was younger and fed them fireflies. It was neat to see the toads stomach light up from the inside after they ate them.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] It takes so little to amuse me sometimes.

BTW elgecko, I liked your website. I got a "rotarty wood-carving kit" for christmas a while back, but I use it on pumpkins instead. I've got a geocities website too, but not nearly as fancy as your. If you want to check it out. It has my Jackolantern's, Ceramics, and the first set of pics from my recently started Carnivorous collection (they're on the plant page with my rose garden.)

Okay, enough shameless plugging, back to topic. I'm gonna test the fireflies out this weekend and hopefully get some pictures if it works. >added< The light showing through the trap part, not the glowing plant thing. (Although if the plant starts glowing I'll get pics too. LOL)

9. Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast