What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant Killing Teacher needs advice!

L

Lesley

HI! I'm a second grade teacher in Ohio who's NEVER had good luck with plants. I just got a Venus Fly Trap for our room. I was wondering what's the best way to do this. Is is better to water every day with the plastic cover off and just put the cover on the weekends? Or leave it on all the time (with the exception of a few hours to feed). The room is climate controlled so there's not much humidity right now. Any advice?

Hey Lesley

The best way to water the plant is to sit it in a dish of DISTILLED water. about a 1/2 inch to an inch. No more than that.
If you water from the top, be sure to water around the plant and not on top of the plant.
But to be safe, always allow it to take its own water.

Humididty isn't a big factor for the plant. You can leave something on it while no one is there on the weekends though so the plant doesn't dry out! And at night if you wanted. I would use a cover for the plant only as a way keep the moisture in the soil while someone is not there.
The only other advice I have for you is that these plants enjoy lots of light. If you have a window use it
smile.gif
If you do not, you can use artifical lighting. Cool white light 10-12 inches away from the plant is best. This light needs to be on for 12-14 hours a day.

These are pretty easy plants to take care of...The only problems come when the water and light requirements aren't met.

Use Distilled water only ( tap water and drinking water have things in it the plant doesn't like ). Distilled water is void of everything!!

Lots of light. The plant needs as much light as you can give it!

Feeding is optional. Feeding the plant bugs is like fertilizer...without it, it will still grow. But if you fertilize it, it will grow faster, bigger, stronger

Keep us posted on how you are doing!

Back