What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What comes with the plant from this site?

I just bought a Common Venus Fly Trap today and I was wondering, what comes with the one from this site? Will I need to go out and buy anything else? I also wonder, will my plant die if I were to use any regular soil?

Hi Taz

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new plant.
smile.gif

First off...any questions you have about plants you've ordered you can contact the owners, Phil and Jeff, directly and ask. They will be more than happy to answer your questions about your purchases. And there are gabillions of folks here to offer you help at any time on care of your plants.

As for soil, you can't use regular potting soil. Its too rich. VFTs need a nutrient poor soil...the most common mix is 50/50 peat moss to sand. You can add perlite too to lighten the soil. Fertilizers will kill them.

Unless you ordered a bulb, your plant should arrive potted. Then all you need to do is provide the right conditions....lots of bright light or full sun, lots of pure water (distilled or rain) and good air circulation. Left alone, your VFT will catch plenty of bugs.

Hope you enjoy your plant. You will probably end up with MORE.
smile.gif

Suzanne

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PlantAKiss @ July 22 2002,02:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">lots of pure water (distilled or rain)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Key to success... Do not use tap water. Distilled, rain or reverse osmosis (RO) water only to keep this baby alive.

Must I have a terrarium? Could I just sit the potted plant outside and let it do it's thing? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just realy worried and want the best for my plant.
biggrin.gif

Hi Tazz

No, you do not need a terrarium and, in my opinion, they do best out of an enclosed space. I'm not saying you CAN'T grow them in a terrarium or tank...many people do... but you have to be careful about things like air ciruclation. I started with my first VFTs in a terrarium and they were NOT happy. But its been smooth sailing since they were put in their own pots and moved outside. They appreciate the air circulation which helps prevent m old and rot.

So...yes, you can just set them outside and "let them do their thing".
smile.gif
Thats exactly what I do. They are out in the sun and I keep them wet in a shallow saucer of water. They eat flies like crazy and even a few surprise things like granddaddy longlegs and bees. Sometimes I sit outside and look at them and I've seen them catch flies before my eyes.

Flytraps are not a tropical plant so they dont have the high humidity requirements some CPs have. So no terrarium is needed.

Just plop it outdoor and enjoy!

Suzanne

Thanks alot for your time and patience, you've really brought comfort. I have one final question, with only one plant, is it possible to reproduce them?

yes they have both make and female organs
wink.gif

Do I re-plant the stem of the flower?

Hey Taz,

Propogating is a bit more complicated than that
smile.gif

If the plant flowers you can try for seeds but these usually take a few years before that really get any size to them.

VFTs can also be propogated by leaf cuttings which is supposed to be fairly easy (I have never tried though.)

Right now I suggest you just let your plant grow and do its own thing. Once it has had a good season of growth and you are comfortable with it then you can try your hand at propogation.

For more info check out the plant care link on the PFT pages and also check out here

Good growing and welcome to the forums

Pyro

Hi Taz and welcome to the forums
biggrin.gif
!
Another way that flytraps multiply is with offshoots from the main plant. This will happen when the plant is older.

Back