What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

not oppening

I was told that it only takes 3 manybe 4 days for a VFT to digest what it catches, which seems to be true normaly, but my VFT managed to get ahold of a couple daddy long legs over a week ago and it still hasn't re-opened. Does that mean that those mouths are dying, or does it just take that much longer sence they were larger spiders?

No, it takes one, up to three weeks to digest. Not days.
It takes one to two days to open if it was triggered by something like rain or an evil finger.

I had this happen to one of my traps. But like a week or two later it rotted without opening.

the reson it turned black in case you didnt know that is
smile.gif
is the food was more than likely too large for the plant
sad.gif

By the way you realy got me guessing about your name could you break it down for me
wink.gif
smile.gif
Just curious

Sometimes a trap can digest it's meal happily and then die naturally, in the same way open traps die eventually.

My names comes from the jolly hindu that runs the Kwik-E-Mart in The Simpsons (Apu Nahasapeemapetilon)

.....hehe. i was wondering too. interesting. are you guessin on the spelling or did you see it somewhere?
lates,
andrew

My traps take anywhere from 4 days up to 2 weeks to open after feeding. It also depends on the size and age of the plant, I have a huge Common that will digest a large ant or fly sometimes in 4 days.

UNC, don't you watch the Simpson's?
biggrin.gif
. I don't watch it much so I didn't make the connection 'till I Googled the name.
tounge.gif

No i didn't guess my name is spelled right I went to the simpsons website just to make sure
biggrin.gif

good old simpsons...

i fed my trap a baby fly...(one of the real small ones)...it closed and it was fine for about 5 days....then it started to open up again with the fly still in it (its wrapped with white stuff now tho)....and i was wondering if the trap is just dyeing?
i was also wondering, if a plant catches a fly and eats it, when it reopens, is there anything left from the fly inside?

Dav, Usually there is only the exoskeleton left. The soft tissues are disolved by the flytraps enzymes and absorbed, leaving only the hard parts behind. The white stuff on the baby fly may have been fungus (mold). If a trap does'nt close tight and form a seal completely around the insect, fungus and bacteria can get in. Often this will kill the trap, but not the whole leaf. If the trap hasn't started to turn brown/black then it's fine.

Back