Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repotting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I just ordered two plants from www.**********.com and was wondering when is a good idea to repot your plant(s) into a bigger pot? I got two in one pot and was wondering if I do need to report should I seperate the plants?

I'm relatively new at this...thank you all for your help. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    I share your sorrow and your grief…Numberless times I convey my anguish.....

This is my story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Repot when the plants crowd the pot, traps flowing every which way. After a year or two, you'll need to repot anyway as the medium will be useless. These are the only times when you should repot. If you decide to repot, it will set back your plants for about two weeks, before you see growth again. If your new, this link might help you take care of your flytrap.

FAQ

Take care!

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks alot [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] I don't need the terranium living in Florida right? Just leave it outside for 8 hours and bring it inside after?
    Thanks [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

This is my story.

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Cerius @ Sep. 13 2003,10:23)
    Thanks alot [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] I don't need the terranium living in Florida right? Just leave it outside for 8 hours and bring it inside after?
    Thanks [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img][/QUOTE]
    As long as your temps dont drop into the freezing range (shouldnt be too big a problem in Fla) you dont need to bring them inside at all. Most people leave their VFTs outside 24/7.

Good luck
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Won't this dry out the plant? I read on the FAQ it could kill the plant with all that heat.

This is my story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VFTs can take fairly low humidity. You must adjust them to it first though. You can do this by putting a two liter bottle top over the plants for two weeks, then every day after that, raise it just a little until it is off. Too much and the plant will burn. Winter is coming though and humidity and temps will drop to dangerous levels for VFTs. It might do better on a sunny windowsill (assuming you're not up for dormancy this year). I too live in Florida (South, Boca Raton) and my plants grow on a mixture of windowsill, porch and terrarium. All are doing well, though the best is in the terrarium. Generally, the key is: The higher the humidity, the better rate of growth. Scientifically this is because the plant loses less water through transpiration.

Hope this helps.

SF

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you keep the water trays full then it shouldnt be a problem with drying out. (1/2 inch of distilled, reverse osmosis, or rain water ONLY)
    As for heat, VFTs are pretty resilient plants, mine are regularly subjected to +90 degree heat with no ill effects (although when the temps break 95 I generally move them into the shade). Keep in mind that plants, like people, need to "tan" to be able to withstand full intense sunlight. Break them in gradually.. start with a couple hours of direct morning sun and then bright shade the rest of the day and then increase it a little at a time untill you can leave them out full time.

Good luck
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I got my plant it had a dead pod on it and two dead leaves. When should I snip these off, even if I should. I don't want to harm the plant so I'm not sure what to do.

This is my story.

9. Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast