Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mystery disease: Before, during, and after

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a little photologue of the disease that hit my flytraps. My biggest, oldest VFT didn't make it, but it looks like the D. muscipula 'Pink Venus' i got this year will pull through... although in a rather strange way. See for yourself:

Before:

During:

After:

As you can see, the disease (anthracnose? Anyone know?) killed it down to the soil. I put it out in the sun when i moved, and the sunlight seems to have coaxed the last remnants to make a comeback... in force! There are a whole bunch of little plantlets growing from the remains of the plant.

I have a few questions about this. I want to try to bring the plant back from the dead a bit more before dormancy, but then i was thinking that these look like seedlings/baby plants anyway, maybe they can get by without a dormancy this year? Should i separate them, or are they all going to be attached to the same rootstock? Has this happened to anybody's plant before?

Finally, does anybody know what the disease was? It scared me pretty bad, and cost me my best VFT. I don't want to go through that again! I bought some neem oil spray (water-based) after a while, and it may or may not have helped the plants i sprayed. It's hard to say. Anybody have a definite success with neem?
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Pink Venus didn't get as large as yours, but currently looks the same. Perhaps it wanted to go dormant? Mine is still growing, its just very small.
    Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

http://www.carnivorium.com
    http://www.buckeyecarnivores.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img] Thats scary. I have no clue what happened, but I'm just glad you have some plantlets so that it wasn't a total loss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using Neem spray to hold back the Botrytis that besieges my CPs (also known as the beast from the AC unit). So far all of the plants I've sprayed, including purps, leucos, VFTs, and D. Binata have shown no ill effects. My D. Rotundifolia, however, seems to have withdrawn into a hibernacula (I may put it in the fridge this weekend). It looks like a bunch of little green nibs, like leaves that never fully formed. It's still green, so I'm convinced of it's survival.

Now if only I could get University services to clean my AC unit [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]
    The Best Part About Being a Sociopath is Never Having to Say You're Sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its like a scene from a horror movie [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] . Zongyi
    What you want to do is illeagle here in Canada.
    Email does not work! Use PM or yangzongyi@hotmail.com instead.

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!! My gawd every one of my VFTs (well... save the 19 seedlings) has that! So, what is it and what do I do?

Help!

Geeetings,
    FTG
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flytrap Gurl:

First, breathe into a paper bag.

Second, it may be simply that they are trying to go dormant - which looks very similar. If this hadn't happened in the middle of summer (and killed it down to a few plantlets), i would have thought that of mine, too. Please somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but usually when leaves die, they start at the end and work their way down, turning black. With this disease, the black can start anywhere on the leaf (although usually at some edge) and spread until the whole thing is dead.

Finally, if you really are concerned, get a CP-approved fungicide and treat them.

Cynic: Is that what that nasty fuzzy white stuff was growing on my dorm AC? Does it actually infect the plants, or just cover them with unsightly fuzz? Thanks for sharing your experience with neem. I'm most concerned/curious about how it affects Cephs. My ceph is dying back a bit, with similar symptoms (blackening leaves, etc), and i'm not sure if it's infected or whether it doesn't like the neem spray. I REALLY don't want to lose my ceph!
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

I was just wondering on the plantlets in the picture, are they still attatched to the bulb, or is the whole bulb of the vft dead, leaving behind those mini plants.
    Also, I was wondering if this fungicide made by shultz I think, is ok to use on the plants, it's like a three in one thing, (a fungicide, insectacide, and the third is like something that kills little tiny bugs like mits I think.) by the way it's sold everywhere... so you've probably seen it before.
    The reason I need it is because the white part of the bulb seems to be turning all black and mushy. I've been keeping the overall plant on the drier side and watering only when needed...It still seems to be spreading turning black though...
    Is it a fungus or what?
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast