What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New VFTs are here!  Sunlight?

• Thread starter steveo
  • Start date
My 4 new plants (rhizomes, not potted) have arrived, in great shape considering the rough road they've traveled, and I've got them in a big 12" plastic pot. Thanks EG!

I notice that the accompanying instructions warn against direct sunlight. This is the opposite of what every other source I've seen says--is this, perhaps, better advice in Texas than it is in Columbus, OH, where it is cloudy most of the time? If I need to keep them in indirect light, I will do so, but I am worried that on the whole it's too dark here.

Thanks for your advice.

--SO

I think it means avoid direct sunlight while it is still a rhizome, because it wont benefit as much as if it were green, and could photosynthesize. Sun could also encourage fungus growth, and if theres alot of water, then algea can grow. Too much SUN light is bad if it is in a terrarium too. Put it in like, semi-sunny spot for now...

Thats wut i think...

Mmm. I would say they would need more sun than ever as rhizomes because when it starts to grow leaves it needs more sun to take advantage of what little surface area it has. I've had 17 rhizomes since January and only now are they starting to get going now they have access to spring sunshine. In my experience, you can't get enough sunlight, unless you live in the south where the sun can scorch.

The sun in texas burns everthing. These plants are native to North Carolina where the sun is milder. If you live farther down south they need less direct lighting. If you live father up north they can take direct sunlight.

I would start them on filtered sun. Once they start growing you can try to transition them to full sun. If they get too hot and they're kept too wet they will rot.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Dyflam on 8:33 pm on Mar. 30, 2002
I would start them on filtered sun. Once they start growing you can try to transition them to full sun. If they get too hot and they're kept too wet they will rot.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

My question may be completely academic, given March in Columbus--the pot is massive (about 12" across and 12" deep), has no lid and for both these reasons will tend to keep its temperature, while the sun is hidden behind cloud almost all day. Heat will not be an issue for a while.

I *am* concerned about the dampness--I doubt the gallon's worth of water now in the peat (amazing stuff!) is going to evaporate at any speed in these conditions. When the water in the saucer has disappeared I may wait a couple days before I add any.

Then again, I've read a CP book wherein a guy had VFTs *underwater* for long periods, and reported no problems.

--SO

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Alvin Meister on 6:44 pm on Mar. 30, 2002
Mmm. I would say they would need more sun than ever as rhizomes because when it starts to grow leaves it needs more sun to take advantage of what little surface area it has. I've had 17 rhizomes since January and only now are they starting to get going now they have access to spring sunshine. In my experience, you can't get enough sunlight, unless you live in the south where the sun can scorch.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

There are some leaves--a few look happy enough to survive, if I don't screw this up. We had an hour of sun today, and maybe 30 minutes of that hit the plants.

--SO

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Parasuco on 6:26 pm on Mar. 30, 2002
I think it means avoid direct sunlight while it is still a rhizome, because it wont benefit as much as if it were green, and could photosynthesize. Sun could also encourage fungus growth, and if theres alot of water, then algea can grow. Too much SUN light is bad if it is in a terrarium too. Put it in like, semi-sunny spot for now...

Thats wut i think...
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks. I hadn't considered evil growths. I did get some shreds of green moss as a fellow-traveller with the plants. I assume that this is sphagnum and was going to let it grow if it could.

I hope the plants flourish--we've got those import ladybugs around here, and they will go straight for the pot once they get in the house. Eat hearty, boys!
smile.gif

--SO

I live in the Boston area (42 deg North) My VFT's get about 6 hours of sun a day and they're growing like crazy in a terrarium. I'll probably take them out of the terrarium in another month or so as the sun gets higher, but as for now they couldn't be happier.

I gave 'em about an hour of flourescent grow-light (at about 1 inch) to make up for the ridiculously weak sun today. It was little better than moonlight all afternoon!

The traps are developing on one of them, opening on the others. I may get a plant or two out of this batch--perhaps even all four will make it! Woohoo!

--SO

I'm abit further North than you (Erie, PA); my VFT's were in direct West facing sun all last summer and did just fine. Right now the sun isn't hot enough or strong enough (if it comes out) to do diddly squat. Your new plants should develop along just fine until it gets warmer, expose them slowly to the direct sun when the weather warms up (if that ever happens). I have one inside under florescent lights, ( a west window would be goo too) it is growing but not to its full potential. Hopefully in the next few weeks it can start getting some fresh air and real sun.

Still waiting for my outdoor ones to wake up; alhtough it is possible they didn't make it, no signs of life yet.
sad.gif

Good luck Linda ö¿ö

Back