User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Growing from seed

Tynan
    Hello all. I bought a VFT seed kit at Christmas on a whim. Set it up as instructed. I wasn't expecting anything given the cold dark winters here in the UK. However on checking it today, there are many very very small green leaves that I assume to be the VFTs. I have had it covered with plastic on a south facing window sill in a saucer of rain water. Since starting it 6 weeks ago, the instructions have vanished. I remember the next step was to uncover the pot immediately. After that.....

Would anyone be so good as to take over from there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Tynan,
    Simply move them to a place with bright light and humidity above 40%. The seedlings grow best at room temperature. One more thing it will be about a week before they put out any real traps and they will be very small.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume you know all about keeping care of them with regards to water etc. since you've got them this far.
    Keep them on a windowsill, preferably where there's a radiator nearby. In my house (Lancashire) it's pretty chilly on an unheated windowsill at the moment.
    Now you'll have to wait about 2 years to get decent sized plants [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Tynan
    Lancashire!! If you can do it in the grim dark north I should in the sunny sarf. Two years? You kidding? I need my fly problem this summer dealt with this year!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, I grow tons of flytraps here in the northern wilderness [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    Sorry to break it to you but it takes a couple of years to get a decent sized flytrap from seed - that's why nurseries use tissue culture (test tubes and agar) to grow them. Persevere with your seedlings but find a nursery that sells VFTs. They usually appear for sale in May, or I could e-mail you where to get them from now.
    Visit www.sarracenia.com/faq.html for some info on your seedlings.

Tynan
    I'm not even sure they qualify as seedlings yet! No big deal. It was just an impulse buy. At least I didn't buy the banana seed kit! Thanks anyway.