What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP! i think i just killed 3 new plants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I just bought 3 new plants at lowes a flytrap, sarracenia purpurea and a sundew I transplanted them in individual pots and i totally crapped it up the pitcher plant lost like 40% of its root system same with the flytrap. and the sundew was already 75% dead Im not to worried about that one but I really want the pitcher plant to live. I gave them tons of water and have them in a fishtank with about a inch and a half of water in the bottom. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make them pull through.
Please Help!!

I know I dont know what I was thinking but do you think that they will pull through

the sundew was in extreme shock anyway I wouldn't even care if it lived it didn't look to impressive

Crap I can really be a retard sometimes I vow to never do something this idiotic again (with cp's that is) ehh they looked really bad all clumped together in one pot anyway..

Next time I will buy individual plants in their own pots, screw double and triple potting

I think your totally jumping to conclusions. CPs are very tough plants in actuality. The best thing to do when the root systems have been damaged is to give them bright indirect light and cover them up with something to hold in the humidity a bit so they don't get dehydrated. The soil should be moist but not soggy. After a couple weeks slowly open the bag a little and let some fresh air in. When they acclimate to life uncovered you can increase the light and put them on a water tray.

It wouldn't suprise me if even the Drosera makes some nice roots and pulls through. Just be careful not to bake the plants in the sunlight while they are covered.

Tony

nahasapeemapetilon,

Don't give up on them yet!  Consider this a challenge.  First keep the humidity up.  This will help slow down the evaporation through the plants leaves and take some of the strain off the damaged roots that are trying to keep the plant from drying out.  With the humidity high keep an eye on the terrarium for fungus.  It can kill your plants particularly since the roots are damage and the plants weakend. If you need a fungicide and can't find any at the local garden center, Phil and Jeff sell two types in the PFT store.  I would keep them out of direct light.  Bright indirect light should be OK or even fluorescent lights.  It would also be a good idea to post a question on the Sarrasenia forum to see if the people with more experience growing purpureas can give more advice.  

With VFTs there's hope as long as there is healthy growth in the crown of the flytrap.  You can also, as a last ditch effort, grow a VFT from leaf cuttings.  Though, there isn't a 100% guarantee that it will work.

And if your plants do die don't feel to bad about it.  I don't think there's a single person here that hasn't killed a carnivorous plant or two.  I think I wiped out about half a dozen (or more) VFT's when I first started.  I bought them at Wal Mart.  I bought two pots that had one main plant with several little off shoots in each pot.  Of course the instructions didn't say anything about using only distilled, rain, or RO water.  They lasted about a month and a half before the minerals in my tap water killed them
sad.gif

Any way, I hope your plants pull through and if you have anymore questions, ask away! That's what everybody is here for.  That and learning from each others mistakes.
wink.gif

smile.gif

edited 7/31/02 @ 10:18

Huhhh, Tony?  Where'd you come from?  I've been blind sided!
Teach me to wander off to catch a doodle bug adult (don't know what their true name is) before finishing a post
biggrin.gif

I am locking this topic so it doesn't explode.

Nahasapeemapetilon has gotten some constructive and helpful advice.  And TrapsRus has been WHOMPED.

Remember folks.. If you can not be friendly, helpful, constructive and add to the conversation in a positive way.  Don't post.
Tony

gah gotta fix a typo in my post.. then I am going to bed ;p
T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back