What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dingley giant not looking well

Ok guys something is obviously not right with my Dingley.  My other VFTs are doing fine.

Here is what it looks like when I got it (8/25).
babydingley.jpg

A month later (9/27)
dingley.jpg

Today (10/14)
dingleysick1.jpg

dingleysick2.jpg

The new traps aren't as red, are small and deformed.  The soil seems to be covered with something green.

Ok, I'm watering with distilled water with super thrive and have been under two flourescent lights since (9/27).  This last weekend (10/11) I created a contraption to hang the flourescent lights above the plants while they are on the window sill so it gets sunlight and flourescent light (light is on about 12 hours right now).

What confuses me most, is that my other VFTs look like they are doing ok.  Anybody know what I am doing wrong?  
confused.gif

that green stuff looks like alage or moss. maybe the superthrive promoted alage and moss growth. it looks a little spindly. is it getting enough light? maybe the effects of dormancy is kicking in
confused.gif
. Zongyi

That looks to me like not enough light. How close is the plant to your fluorescents? They should be pretty darn close, like 6 inches, to get enough light from the regular 40 watt or 20 watt (24inch) tubes. The soil looks like it has some algae on it. Perhaps it's a bit too wet? Also, I'd cut the superthrive out. I only use that for new cuttings and special occasions only. The deformed traps are concerning. Hopefully, someone will have an answer for you.

Capslock

I would stop using superthrive, and water with pure water only..
when a plant is sick, fertilizing makes things worse, not better..

the plant is probably trying to go dormant..
are you giving it less light and cooler temps to allow it to prepare for dormancy?
giving lots of light and warm temps when a VFT is trying to go dormant can weaken and eventually kill it..

hmmm....I would try flushing the superthrive out the soil.....it may have reached levels that are hurting the plants development..... I doubt the moss is anything to worry about..

also try increse humidity around the plant....if the air is to dry leaves and traps come out small green and deformed (this has happened to one of my plants in my home in Texas )....but it could just be dormancy setting in....

I have two 48" 40W (each) in the setup. Lights were 10" away, but now are approximately 9" away. Since the 10/11 it has been getting roughly 5-6 hours of sunlight in the morning till 1 pm. Yes the lights are set to give decreased amounts of light.

My first suspect is the superthrive. I will proceed not to use it any more (I have a gallon of clean water) and will go flush the plant soon. It may not have had enough humidity but it definately had enough water. I water it a little bit almost every day, but it is never 'flooded.'

I wasn't planning on putting this plant into dormancy but I may have to do that if thats what it wants to do. I was waiting till the end of this month.

My second guess is I confused it a little with the dormancy.

Third guess was the lighting wasn't enough for the last month for proper trap formation.

Fourth guess was I damaged it during transplant and broke some roots. Or I got the soil medium wrong.

Deffinately too soon to see the results from the new light setup. The lack of color and elongation in the leaves is deffinately from the low light level prior to the lights. I wouldn't be concerned about that aspect.

The plant looks healthy to me other than the afore mentioned conditions. It should be ready for dormancy. All my VFT in the greenhouse are now making winter leaves. Although couple weeks one way or the other shouldn't make much difference.

As for the deformed traps.. hard to say. VFT are notorious for making mutated traps caused by a variety of factors from insect/disease to simply some environmental stress. With the plant looking overall healthy with no insect or disease symptoms it could be some environmental thing. Give it a rest for a couple months.. and with a bit of TLC it should be a happy healthy camper afterwards. It will certainly enjoy the new light setup come next growth cycle.
Tony

Back