Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I ordered flytraps from Cook's since I live in Canada, and they were shipped a week ago last Tuesday. I don't think they came in today's mail, which means they'll have been un-route 14 days IF they get here by Monday. Will they be in pretty rough shape by that time? Is there anything I can do once they get here to bring them back from the brink? Multiple views and perspectives are apprecaited, thanks everyone! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    To live we must learn to forgive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best thing you can do for them is put them in the conditions they like. They will go through a shock period (anyone's guess how long) and as long as they didn't dry out they should be ok.
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another one...Ok, I was impatient and went do golden acre garden center to rescue a couple of their flytraps. They come in the typical 3 inch pot with a cup over it. They're doing fine now, my only question is this. Once they have adjusted to the new environment and I'm ready to transplant them, do I strip the roots of the moss they're planted in now (sphagnum I'm guessing)? I ask because I won't be using sphagnum, only a peat/perlite mix.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CN, assuming the moss they are in is ok, no algae or fungus growing in it, then I would stick the whole thing in the new soil and cover the moss with you're peat/perlite mix. This would minimize the shock to the plant from having the roots disturbed. It's what I usually do with my plants when I transplant them.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good, will do! Although...how can you tell if there is something amiss with the moss? *grin* I mean, I don't know much about sphagnum moss, not even what it looks or smells like. Any particular hints for how I can tell if the moss is healthy?

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

If it has green shiny stuff or grey/white fuzzy stuff growing on it then that's slime or mold. It usually doesn't bother my plants unless I leave a dead leaf or bug setting on the moss for a couple days. Usually sphagnum isn't as prone to this as peat moss is. Live sphagnum moss looks kinda like miniature pine trees sprouting up. Dead sphagnum moss looks like brown string. I can only describe the smell as earthy. Like a dirt field after a short rain.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, the top layer of sphagnum visible to the eye is all green and slimy, and everything below that does look like brown string. So if I need to get rid of that to prevent problems, how can I safely strip the current moss from the roots without damaging them? I want to wait a few days I think, I don't want to freak out the plant...but I've never been good with root handling, I usually over-do it and kill my plants! Any tips?
    Thanks for all your help dyflam and bigcarnivourkid...I'm slowly getting the hang of this! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast