What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie with 2 questions!

hi Im wezx and im a Cp newbie....

1)Do you guys put your VFT in a tray of water for the whole day and night? because i do and i thibk its getting too much water ...what should i do?

2)what soil is good for Venus flytraps? with nuitrients or without...

ThanKs!!

Hey wezx, welcome to the forums!

1) Yes, all day and night. They like the water! But remember to use distilled or rain water, as water high in mineral content is very bad for vfts.

2) Without nutrients! Spagnum peat moss and either sand or perlite in equal parts works great. Do not use any fertilizers or soils impregnated with fertilizers or nutrients.

What make you think it's getting too much water?

Capslock

Thanks alot! that really help!
...in the book "a guide to carnivorous plants of singapore" says :.."rotting leaves - too wet" so i tought ,if the VFT is standing on the tray of water for all day and night then it might be "too wet".....oh and the hummidity it high here in singapore so will the roots rot if i stand it in water all day and night?
thanks!
wezx

Sorry wezx, should have replied to this in the other forum.

Letting your vft sit in water isn't a problem. Remember that a vft is not a carnivorous plant of Singapore. I think what the book meant was that having neps sit in water all the time is not good, which I agree with.

I think the rule of thumb is that the more humid, the less standing water to leave, but I'm not sure.

What do you guys do with your VFT?leave them in water for the whole time?

oh and one more thing....what causes root rot?is there a way to prevent it?

thanks.

wezx

I have the book "CPs in Singapore" as well. That book's cultivation instructions contradict all the other popular CP books, such as Savage Garden. I'm sure the author of that book has good reasons to write what he wrote, and they may work, but I'd rather go with the popular opinion and leave my VFTs in trays of water and WITHOUT fertilisers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What do you guys do with your VFT?leave them in water for the whole time?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, we do leave them in water for the whole time. Even when the plant is dormant we leave it in water with a liitle more care, but that will be dicussed later when everone is going on and on about how annoying dormancy is and how to handle it(which I totally agree with
biggrin.gif
)
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
oh and one more thing....what causes root rot?is there a way to prevent it?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

The closest thing to root rot that is in the Savage Garden is Botrytis or better known as the dreaded damp-off disease. It usually only attacks seedlings and a few others. It occurs normally in terrariums that are too humid with poor a circulation and low light levels.

Hope this helps,
Wes

thanks everyone all the information helps alot!

can someone send me a private message ?i want to see what it looks like...or does it go to my account

1.)VFT's will be OK to stand in water. However, keep the water levels low, about a constant 1 cm is fine. VFT's do not like the overly boggy conditions like the Sars.

2.) Soil with no nutrients will be fine(peat moss and sand).

what is sars?

Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome. Nasty virulent bronchial disease...

Just kidding. I think he meant the Sarracenias; the American trumpet plants (anyone else besides me think they shouldn't be called pitcher plants?)

Back