User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tissue culture

NEVER do that unless you have the area sterile!!

Everything that comes into contact with your medium will grow...fungus, bacteria

It will kill whatever you were trying to make...or you would have to toss it before it spread. [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tissue culture is a method of plant propagation in which a sterilized piece of plant tissue (leaf, root, seed) is placed in a sterile, nutrient rich environment and its growth is controlled with plant growth regulators (plant hormones). You don't always use agar. Basically, one mixes up a mixture of water, sugar, and nutrients, plus hormones to change the plants growth (make cells multiply in a certain way, ie make roots). This mixture, called media, is placed in a container with a media suportive material, usually agar. I personally have found that other materials (cotton, PEAT MOSS, peat/perlite) work a lot better than agar as the plants are more easily able to soak up liquid and nutrients. You then sterilize these cultures in a microwave or pressure cooker, add a sterilized plant part and place them under growlights. The plant cuttings (explants) now have a nearly perfect environment. Using this method you can produce a million plants from one plant in one year, and they are all genetically identical (clones). Depending on the plant, you use different parts of the plant, generally seed is the easiest to use, however droseras work excellently from leaf cuttings. Let me know (through email or messaging) if you would like to try and I will try to get you started. [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Noah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noah,

What's Murashige and Skoog? Is this TC media similar to agar?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Larry,

Murashige and Skoog media is a mixture of nutrients that has been used for tc media for a few decades, it was invented in the 60's I think by two scientists called (guess what???) Murashige and Skoog!!! It makes an excellent tc media when diluted to 1/2 normal strength, it is what I usually use.

Media and Agar are NOT the same thing. Media is the sugar/nutrient/hormone solution used to feed the plantlets. Agar is used to support the media to keep the plant cuttings from sinking to the bottom of the liquid. It turns the media into a gel. I usually use cotton or peat moss to "support" the media as it more readily gives up the media to the plantlets, thus producing faster growth. Here the cotton or peat moss soaks up the media and gives it to the plantlets. Does this make sense? Hope it does [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Noah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do they sell murashige and skoog at hardware stores or plant nurseries?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, although several online science supply places sell it. There are also media mixes you can make yourelf if you don't want to get the prepared stuff.

Noah

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12