What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

growing from seeds

I bought some royal red form venus fly trap seeds on March 15 and spread them on damp peat moss and set them in a tray of water and put it in a location with part shade in a terarium. I've yet to see any thing, did i do something wrong? or is it too early yet. please help

1 month is not too long a wait, so there is a chance that the seed will germinate, but there are some other factors to consider. Seed of Dionaea require a 3 week cold stratification for good germination at temps. @ 40F.
Be careful with the temperature level in the terrarium is it is outside, too hot is not good: the seed will germinate well in cool conditions, although high humidity is good. It's a hard balance to maintain in terrariums, esp. if outdoors. Pure peat is not the best substrate, but should be ok as long as it is not too compact. Seeds of CP are not like other flower seeds, they take time to grow, and often will spring up when you have decided there is no possible way they could still do it, so whatever happens, keep hoping and maintaining the conditions for germination.

Is the Royal Red a form or a cultivar?
If kqntb4life got seeds for it, then it should be a form and not a cultivar correct?

I had unstratified D. muscipula germinate FAST, and uniformly... An easier way to keep track if they are germinating or not is to throw them all in a petri dish filled with distilled water... That is higest humidity possible (floating on water???), and you can see the roots when the sprout out... I have three like that, and they all germiated, and the rest are on a spagnum/sand mix...

Parasuco, perhaps whoever you got them from already stratified them. Never heard of them germinating without being cold for a bit.

well the instructions said refrigerate or sow as soon as possible. so you can also germinate them in just pure water and then switch them over to peat?

yes, you can germinate them on pure water... Are roots brownish black?

I emailed the person whom i bought my seeds from, and he said they werent stratified...

Back